46 | Days in the Dark

You see, instead of speaking to the lunar fabric, Obtainment Acolytes control the lunar fabric. They bend it to their will and absorb its constantly-regenerating power.

❂❂❂

Shadow Weaver landed with a groan

Shadow Weaver landed with a groan. "Micah?" she cried, blind in the dark without her mask. "Micah, are you alright?"

"Light Spinner!" a voice called. Shadow Weaver forced her panic down, looking for the source of the voice.

Her eyes found a teenage boy with scruffy black hair and large, almond-shaped eyes, so dark they were almost black. He carried a handful of insects – Mystacorian pillbugs, it seemed – as he raced toward a woman. A woman with thick black hair and flawless white skin.

Shadow Weaver heard her own voice, gentle and quiet, come from the lady. "What did you find, Micah?"

"Dinner," the boy said, popping one of the insects into his mouth. "Want some?"

The woman adopted a disgusted look. "Non merci, my student."

Micah shrugged. "Suit yourself," he said, eating another. "You can enjoy your crumpets and tea –" he said this part in a Delvalian accent – "and I'll find my food in the great wilds."

"The entire kingdom is a series of cities," the woman said with a smile. "There's no wilderness to speak of."

"There is, if you look hard enough."

"This conversation is irrelevant," she said, "because I will not eat insects. They're bitter and rancid."

"Those are just ants. Pillbugs taste like shrimp."

The woman pinched the bridge of her nose. "The ants here are poisonous, Micah."

"That explains why I puked in the toilet last week," he said, his eyes gazing upward in thought.

"You what?"

"Puked in the toilet. Food poisoning. But you had some charcoal, so I ate that, and the next day I was fine."

"How did I never hear about this?" she asked sternly.

"You were asleep."

The woman groaned. "What am I going to do with you?" Her tone was playful. "You're so...different."

"If you mean I'm not some stuffy guru, then sure," the boy chuckled. "And I think you're weirder."

"Hm. In what ways?"

"Well, you don't like insects."

"That's everyone."

"Everyone west of Meya," Micah corrected. "I think, anyway. Might have gone through Delvala instead." He shrugged, smiling. "I like you anyway – don't worry."

"I'm glad your wardship hasn't been miserable."

"It's not!" he chirped. "You're awesome!"

"Awesome?"