31 | Hand of Sorrow

Music: "Hand of Sorrow" by Within Temptation

⚠️ Trigger Warning: This chapter contains references to suicidal ideation. If that's not for you, feel free to skip the third scene of this chapter.

As I said before, power is simply a tool, not something that makes you immoral or moral in itself. But I will say that there was some merit to Emeth Auctor's pursuit of power, though he was far too extreme in his beliefs.

❂❂❂

"RRRRRRAAAAHHHH!"

"RRRRRRAAAAHHHH!"

Hordak hurled a cloning vat at Shadow Weaver, and she barely leaped out of the way. "HOW COULD YOU HAVE ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN?" he bellowed over the sound of shattering glass.

Shadow Weaver lowered her blank eyes, ebony hair billowing above her head. "The Alliance worked together," she said softly. "Salineas is protected by the Sea Gate, and –"

"Not the fort, you fool!" Hordak snapped at her. "The power source!" By Prime's name, he was lightheaded from shouting. But he couldn't grab anything for support without cluing Shadow Weaver into his weakness...

Shadow Weaver stood up straighter, locking eye contact. "I prevented the Fright Zone itself from collapsing. Do you know what would have happened, had the rebel king infiltrated this complex?"

"Your mission was to protect the power source. I require it for my experiments, woman!"

The slits narrowed. "My lord, with respect –" Shadow Weaver snapped the last word – "I narrowly stopped you from assassination. Carmen can steal the battery back –"

"That is impossible," Hordak interrupted. "You only succeeded because you obtained an opening. The Crypto Castle contains numerous traps, as you yourself have said."

"We have a map."

"A map that was only reliable because the traps were disengaged for that cursed ball," Hordak replied with a wave of his hand. "You must come to terms with reality, Shadow Weaver. We will never hold that battery again." Spots coalesced at the edges of his vision. Stay lucid. Stay upright. Hordak gritted his teeth, forcing himself not to dwell on the pain of his ailment.

Shadow Weaver's fists clenched. "What now?" she asked, an edge remaining in her voice. "Will you be rid of me?"

"No," he said. "You remain the only access point to the Black Garnet." With that, Hordak had a realization. A way to control her, and continue his experiments. "The Black Garnet contains the power of electricity, does it not?"

Shadow Weaver flinched visibly, and her response was delayed. "Yes," she said in a small voice.

Hordak clanked over to his desk. "You will meet me at the Black Garnet Chamber tomorrow," he said. "And I will use you as my conduit. The key to the circuit. Do you know what a circuit is?"