70 | Falling With The Snow

You may wish to hear the rest of the story. I must warn you. If you listen, small one, I will try. You have the exact headstrong nature as your father.

❂❂❂

With Micah's arms around her, Shadow Weaver fell backward, pulling him beneath her

With Micah's arms around her, Shadow Weaver fell backward, pulling him beneath her. The moat lay ten feet below –

His head smacked the ice. Blood sprayed as they plunged into the water, ice shocking Shadow Weaver. She inhaled water, trying to surface with him, but he was...too heavy...

Her strength gave out, and she let go. Shadow Weaver kicked to the surface and gulped air before diving down again. She had to find him. The water was murky, and Shadow Weaver had drained Micah of power before they fell – his signature would be invisible. Her lungs burst for lack of air, but she dove deeper. A second too late, and he would drown.

But in that moment of clarity, Shadow Weaver's palms grew warm one last time.

It will hurt.

But I'm used to pain.

With a gargled scream, Shadow Weaver flared her light. The plasma was so hot that it worked underwater; she shot it downward...

There he was. Blood decorated the moat; Shadow Weaver reached the boy from Tropicilas and gripped his hand. Then she used the last of her strength to teleport them to land.

Shadow Weaver unmasked and retched water onto the snow; Micah coughed unconsciously beside her. She edged over to him, lifting him up. The back of his head was bleeding, and his skull was almost certainly fractured. Clear fluid leaked from his nose and ears; Micah had sustained a significant brain injury.

But he was alive. Squinting, he looked up at Shadow Weaver. "Light...Spinner..." Micah fell unconscious again...

I I I you we I you we I you MINE I we you I you he he he he.

Micah was breathing, and his pulse was there, if faint. Shadow Weaver's ribs ached, but she didn't care. He was good. Between faith and fear, with nothing to gain, he had spared her life – repaying her for her good deed all those years ago. It drove the insanity back for a moment.

But unfortunately, she'd injured him for a purpose. Comatose or vegetative, she could end his life without tearing herself apart.

✧✧✧