12 | Delvala's Demise

Art: "The Black Garnet" by ShadowReader29

Power is morally neutral. But there are some forms that should not be tinkered with.

❂❂❂

Early the next month, Shadow Weaver herself attacked Bel Delvala

Early the next month, Shadow Weaver herself attacked Bel Delvala. Micah raced through mirror after mirror to get to the scene of the battle, the pressure causing soreness in his muscles.

Micah had been shot with a gun once, when he was thirteen. In retrospect, the shock had been worse than the actual wound. The metal-spitters – a rare, prized weapon in the Horde – shot bullets at blinding speed, far too fast to deflect with kinesis magic.

With a levitation-induced jump, he leaped to the top of the Delvala historium, looking for Shadow Weaver. He had to be careful – levitation burned a good deal of magic, and could easily tire a person out before the fight even started.

It's best to draw her to me, he realized, looking down at the wreckage. Blood made the cobblestones slick, and the contrast of dark crimson against the vanilla-pale skin of the Delvalians made him ill. But this was war. Even if Micah would rather bind up the wounded – or better yet, have this never happen to begin with – he was a general.

Soon, he would be a king.

Micah leaped off the building as a soldier leveled a gun at a woman with dark brown curls; her pointed ears quivered, and her veil was off, showing her panicked expression as tears streamed down her face.

No more. Micah pushed the gun away hard, and it clattered against the wall. He couldn't fight the man himself with magic, not without risking a toss against the wall, but he did have a weapon. Summoning his sorcerer's staff, Micah slammed the butt into the soldier's chest before he could react.

Micah took the gun; he wouldn't use such a weapon, but he couldn't let the Horde get ahold of it – such immediate power to end someone's life was inherently immoral. But just as Micah was about to pocket it, a hard push rammed into his chest.

Micah collided with the wall; Shadow Weaver stood at the top of another building, looking down at him with a mocking expression. The Horde's second jumped down, silently gloating over the situation. How can I engage her? Micah wondered. If he lunged at her, she would simply teleport away. What could he do?

He frowned. Light Spinner played dead when Illuras was attacked, but he had no visible wounds to testify to that idea. But maybe, if he acted wounded...

Shadow Weaver walked toward him, boots striding across the crimson cobblestones. The smell of blood and death choked Micah's nose. What was her vendetta here? What would Delvala hold for the Horde?

Micah sucked in deep breaths through his mouth, trying to drown out the metallic odor of blood. Shadow Weaver leveled her gun; one shot, and she could murder him then and there. Micah felt as though he was thirteen again, wallowing in blood not his own. They would die because he hadn't been strong enough to save them.