Memory Ten: Forgotten Tears

Autumn passed, and Nell still couldn't believe he'd had the courage to kiss Alura

Autumn passed, and Nell still couldn't believe he'd had the courage to kiss Alura. Luckily, that wasn't the only time. Though she didn't like public displays of affection, particularly if she had to remove her veil, she was happy to do so in private. And every time she did, Nell was reminded of how lucky he was.

He didn't care that Alura was a Delvalian. He didn't care that she was almost twenty-one, and he was eighteen. She was here, and she cared about him like no one ever had.

Today, he held Light Spinner's unnaturally warm hand as they sat in the garden, wrapped in thick winter garb. "Nell?" she said softly.

"What is it?" he asked, touching her hair. It was impossibly soft...

She leaned close. "How has your father been treating you? I've asked several times since we started courting, but –"

"He doesn't know," Nell said. "I can hide it from him."

"That doesn't answer my question," she replied stoutly.

Nell sighed, looking off to the side. His cheeks burned with shame. "Not well," he said quietly. "I slept in a hotel last night – I never know when Dad'll lash out."

"Where did he hit you last?"

"You can't see the bruise on my cheek? I'm flattered," he joked halfheartedly.

Alura pressed her lips tenderly to the site of the bruise. "Where do they think you are right now?"

"At the library, studying." He sighed. "It'll be alright. I know Dad – he never keeps up with what's going on. And if, um..." he blushed. "If things get serious between us someday, we'll talk about who to tell."

"Norwyn and Sarah know already," Light Spinner said, playing with his collar. "Only them. For your sake, less than mine. I'll be an outcast someday. All it takes is for my secret to leak..."

She hadn't discussed what she meant by that since they'd started courting. Nell ran his knuckle along her cheek as she looked off to the side. "Alura, what are you looking for?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well...what's your end goal here? Are we going to stay here, on the border of closeness, or will you...open up to me?"

After a long while, his girlfriend responded, looking him in the eye. "I want to get married," she said firmly. "Please know that eventually, if I cannot see you as my husband, I will leave. It is nothing against you."

"I know. I had the same in mind. Um..." Nell blushed. "But things can't start moving in any direction until you talk to me. I'll let you share in your own time, of course. But it might be healthier to tell someone who cares about you."

She sighed. "You're right. All my life, I've guarded secrets. It's the best way to make sure no one hates me. To make sure I don't get hurt..." She shuddered. "Even you keep me a secret."