Memory Two: Spilling Ink

Art: "Ghost of a Rose: Remix" by CtheTtheG

After technical writing class the next week, Nell walked along the university hall, keeping his eyes downcast as he checked his watch

After technical writing class the next week, Nell walked along the university hall, keeping his eyes downcast as he checked his watch. Class had been a miserable experience. Not understanding how to make his sentences stronger, how to structure the outline, how to do anything...it was difficult. The course seemed subjective, as though the rules of what made a good essay were determined by the professor's whims.

Checking his watch, Nell realized he had a back-to-back class in Sorcerical Calculations. At least that'll be easier, he thought as he continued, clutching his binders close. The lack of stares from the people of Arxia felt strange. But then, there weren't many Delvalians here – Nell guessed they liked to crowd one another in Cindel instead. Maybe now, he would make a real friend.

A girl bumped into him, dropping her notebooks and quills on the floor. The ink pot she'd been carrying shattered, and she gasped, her white cheeks turning pink behind her veil.

So much for there not being any Delvalians here. Guilt seized Nell's stomach at the thought; she was in distress, and he was concerned with her ethnicity? Mum would have been ashamed of him.

"Curses," the Delvalian growled. "Moons, now I'll be late..."

"It's alright," Nell said. "Do you want some help?"

The girl looked at him with piercing green eyes, smoothing her shimmering black hair behind her pointed ears. "What are you looking at?" she snapped. "And I don't need your help. I can clean it up myself." She pulled out a rag and began wiping up the ink.

Nell swallowed awkwardly. "Sorry for getting in your way – I can find you a new ink pot. I use modern pens, but –"

"I don't need anything." The Delvalian picked up the broken pieces of the clay pot, carrying them over to the dumpster. Head held high, she gazed up at him like he was a beast she was determined to subdue.

Then she sighed, her brown makeup shimmering. "I apologize. I was unnecessarily rude to you. I would..." she gripped her bag, stuffing her quills back in. Her voice stiffened. "If you please, I would appreciate it if I could borrow your pens. I just need one for class; I can buy new ink afterward."

Why would a Delvalian apologize to Nell? "We all have poor days," he replied; he couldn't make contact with those green eyes. "It's alright."

"No, it's not. Forgive me. Please."

"Um...I forgive you?" he said with a shrug. "Look...let's just get to class."

She nodded. "Thank you for the pen. I don't know what I would have done..."

"Hey." He stopped her. "Don't worry about it. Honest. You cleaned up the rubbish, and you've got something to write with. That's what you needed."

She frowned. "Yes, I suppose." With a sigh, she turned around and walked down the hall. Nell sensed that she wanted to be alone, from her slumped shoulders and slow walk. He realized only after the fact that he had never gotten her name.

✧✧✧

After class, Light Spinner walked out of the room with Sarah and put her face in her hands

After class, Light Spinner walked out of the room with Sarah and put her face in her hands. She could almost feel the Dellaneve woman's frown. "Are you okay?" Sarah asked tentatively.

"Yes. I just spilled my inkpot and ran into a simpleton who can barely even meet my eyes."

"Are you sure that's all?" Sarah asked. "You can tell me what's going on, if there's anything else."

Light Spinner lowered her eyes. That wasn't all. Summertime was approaching, and that meant old memories. Old, painful memories that would be brought up when she least expected it. For on the seventh of Juillet, Mother had died. Died miscarrying Light Spinner's preborn brother.

She stuffed the pain down and forced a smile. "Yes. I suppose I'll buy a new inkpot at the store."

"You know, that wouldn't happen so often if you wrote with pens instead of quills."

"They're sentimental to me," Light Spinner said softly. "Besides, they look nice." She had collected quills from twenty different types of birds, and the plumes were one of her favorite things about writing.

"I'm not judging," Sarah shrugged. "I'm sensing you need some alone time."

"You sense correctly. But it's not your fault."

Sarah nodded, putting a hand on Light Spinner's shoulder. "Remember, I've got your back. If you ever want to talk to someone about what you're going through...I'll be here. See you later."

Light Spinner stood alone in the hallway as her friend walked away, wishing that she could trust anyone enough for discussing such intimate matters.

❂❂❂

Did you know...

- I don't see Nell as autistic, but I think he still struggles with eye contact and is socially awkward. I did this to show that autistic people and neurotypicals aren't as different as some people may think.

- I picture Light Spinner to enjoy vintage things, especially calligraphy sets. I'm not sure why.

Tell me what you think...

- Why do you think Nell is so shy and withdrawn?