43 | Enter the Dance

Tesseract is a mysterious fabric that binds the other four dimensions together and enables travel between them. In sorcerical terms, it's known as the "lunar fabric".

❂❂❂

Micah struggled to keep up with his old teacher; Shadow Weaver's steps moved with frightening poise, and she hummed softly to the music as she guided them across the dance floor

He stumbled on a few steps, and amusement shone behind her mask. Micah needed to stay with her in order to learn why she dared enter Rebellion territory.

"Whatever it is you're after," he hissed, "I'll stop you."

"And what are you going to do? Attack me, and throw these people into a frenzy?" Shadow Weaver leaned in close, her blank eyes turning ever so slightly into a smile. "Can't you feel their fear?" she whispered. "They are one step from explosion."

Micah gritted his teeth – he couldn't let her get to him. She spun him around, and he stumbled, bumping into Princess Spinnerella – who narrowed her eyes at Shadow Weaver. Then the Horde's second pulled him close again, all the while humming in a mocking tone.

Why betray Etheria? Why betray him? But if Micah asked, he would break down in tears. Besides, he already knew the answer...

He met Angella's eyes as she moved through the crowd; she had not picked a partner. "Carmen is gone," Shadow Weaver sang. "How curious."

"You sent her to steal again, didn't you?"

"I would be a fool to steal from the Snows."

"Then why are you here?" Micah demanded. "Why show your face?"

"You tremble," she observed. "Do you consider me a monster, as everyone in this room does?" Shadow Weaver tilted her head as the dance ended. "Shall I leave you be? That would check out, considering the last parting we shared..."

Truth be told, Micah didn't. He was torn between opposite poles: elation that she was alive, and anger for what she'd become. So he joined Shadow Weaver near the snack bar. His old teacher ordered a glass of wine so dark it was almost black. Micah was unsure why she did, seeing as how her mask covered her entire face. "Might I treat you to a drink as well?" she asked cordially.

"I told you, I find wine disgusting."

"They have cider."

Micah sighed. "Spiced?"

She nodded, then ordered it for him. Shadow Weaver kept a firm grip on her glass. "You're wondering something. Your eyes give so much away, old friend."

"Why do you continue to taunt me?" Micah said softly. "What more can you take from me?"

"Oh, many things. Particularly your life."

"You wouldn't dare – you spared me when I was a kid."