60 | A Time For War; A Time For Peace

The binding is a traumatic experience, from what the foolish woman told me long ago. Moreover, the Spell worming its way where it doesn't belong often causes horrific scarring.

❂❂❂

Angella sat with her back straight and her expression placid as Princess Talyn, the last ruler to show up for the Alliance meeting, walked in and took her seat

Angella sat with her back straight and her expression placid as Princess Talyn, the last ruler to show up for the Alliance meeting, walked in and took her seat. With this, King Gian of the Snows sighed roughly. "Regina and I are not pleased with this development."

King Rei of Plumeria frowned. "Peace, Gian. King Micah is alive, and something happened to Shadow Weaver's mind in that tunnel."

"Do you seriously believe their superstitions?" Talyn said. "Shadow Weaver was going mad already, given that she's the same nut who performed the Spell of Obtainment a decade ago. So we've accomplished nothing."

Perhaps that's because you refused to trust us, Angella almost said, but bit her tongue. They had to keep their chins up. Shadow Weaver wasn't completely lost – not by Micah's metric or anyone else's.

But what would happen if she crossed a line she could never return from?

"Insanity produces foolishness in combat," Queen Morgause of Salineas pointed out. "It is possible she will be easier to stop."

"Or she may get both herself and her combatants killed," Gian muttered.

Angella watched them argue. How could she offer consolation? None were Seraphites – Morgause was the closest analog, but she believed in a strange offshoot that Angella regarded as heretical.

With a sigh, Angella lowered her eyes. "We will catch her someday. The important thing is that she doesn't have that form of power from the Seraphite tunnels."

"And who does?" Talyn asked.

"No one," Angella lied – she didn't trust any of these people anymore. "We were unable to bring the relic to the palace. Tomorrow, my party will leave for Mystacor to request access to the Archives in order to learn Shadow Weaver's weaknesses."

"And do you think you will find a way to end her?" Morgause asked. "To purge this threat from Etheria, once and for all?"

"I pray so," Angella said in a small voice. She could see no way out; if Shadow Weaver stayed alive, the Spell would consume her, and moons knew what damage she would cause to others. But Micah...oh, Micah...the thought of him killing his teacher caused her to ache.

How can we solve this dilemma? To stop her and spare her?

Angella didn't know. And she feared there was no way for any mortal to accomplish both.

✧✧✧