64 | The Last Hurrah

My argument for the existence of the immortal soul is simple. If another force controls your mind and body, surely you, as an opposing being, do as well. This power the Spell exercises over its victims has led to the most significant magnitude of bloodshed in recent history. At least the greatest committed by a single person.

❂❂❂

Upon arriving back at Bright Moon, Micah answered his holo-pad

Upon arriving back at Bright Moon, Micah answered his holo-pad. He had been waiting to hear from Zeka for a long time. Still, Nell and Angella said she played a crucial role in recapturing Alwyn for the Rebellion. She hopefully had an update on Shadow Weaver's next move now that the Horde's second had snubbed another chance at redemption.

Zeka answered the holo-pad. "Hey, Micah."

Micah smiled. "Hello. What's new?"

Zeka sighed. "Well...the Horde's not happy. And Shads still isn't back – you have her?"

"No," Micah murmured. "She escaped."

"She – how?"

"I don't know. Nell doesn't, either."

Zeka growled. "I'm trying to get her deposed. She's fallen out of vogue with Hordak. Before she left for that Seraphite tunnel, she'd been a piece of circuitry for up to five days a week. One more defeat, and she's toast. But I can't get rid of her if we don't know where she is."

Micah's stomach grew cold. "Who ordered this?" he asked, his voice stern.

She shrugged. "The Alliance. They decided it's better to let Hordak off her instead."

No. No, no, no. We have to get Shadow Weaver back – we – I –

Micah forced himself to crack a wide grin. "Great. What are you going to do?"

"I'm starting a riot. Biggest one yet – the Rebellion massacred those soldiers in Alwyn."

"Even after they surrendered?"

"Afraid so. The Dellaneve forces may have gotten overzealous. But it created a hell of an outrage here. So I'm going to throw a stone in the glass house and watch it shatter around dear old Shads."

Micah's throat closed. The Alliance had acted without him? "I...I see," he said, feeling nauseous. He cast a light illusion of Angella's voice, then responded to it. "Coming, honey!" Addressing Zeka again, he frowned. "Angie's calling me. I hope your plan works."

"You're in good company, darling." Zeka signed off, and Micah bunched up on his beanbag chair.

✧✧✧