Part 3: Chapter 17 - A New Version

It was warm now. The cool days of early-year had long since come to an end after a snow-filled cold season. Mid-year on Atophis often brought with it sweltering temperatures and unpredictable weather. The numerous tribes of old had long since adapted to these conditions and in many ways, found out how to use them to their advantage.

This was most prominently displayed in the Opachi tribe. Before the invasion, the Opachi village was at the center of numerous technological breakthroughs which—at the time—seemed to put them light years ahead of the dozens of other tribes on the planet. As some tribes were still living within the great Wyzhlyn trees near the planet's equator, it seemed unfathomable that other people on Atophis were dwelling in villages which operated off of electrical power that was harnessed from the early-year lightning storms.

Now, however, these breakthroughs seemed trivial and as empty as the Opachi village in its current state.

The village—which once bustled with life from generations of families—now stood silent; an empty town of ruins, ghosts and painful memories.

A new day's sun was just breaking over the horizon when a familiar figure seemed to materialize out of thin air.

Traveling through the netherworld of the Force, Jolis was guided by the Master in an effort to reach the Opachi village with all haste. Stepping through one of the strangely shaped doorways in the mysterious world between worlds, Jolis found himself stepping out onto one of the many pathways in the village.

As the portal behind him closed up, Jolis was soon enveloped in the silence of his old village.

For a moment, he simply remained still—taking in the visuals and sounds of where he'd spent his entire childhood. Although this wasn't the first time he'd visited his village since the attack, the effect was still the same.

The emptiness he felt around him sent an echo within him. At first, Jolis found it difficult to concentrate as his mind seemed flooded with old memories and emotions as well as a sharp pain within him that had never quite healed.

In many ways, the silence around him was deafening.

After a moment, however, Jolis recalled his purpose for returning and did his best to set his memories aside as he headed off towards his destination. It only took him a matter of moments to arrive.

They would be waiting for him there, he expected; and he wasn't disappointed.

Stepping into his old family home, Jolis looked down at the spot where he remembered having to stand during his many talks with his parents, usually after he did something wrong.

Taking a few more steps in, Jolis reached his hand out to find the old stone walls were cold to the touch. Even so, they did little to cover the warm memories he felt within this place.

He stood for a moment as his memories seemed almost visible through the veil of time.

The many cold seasons my mother, father and I spent huddled together just to stay warm, the evenings spent telling stories about our ancestors who lived in this very house, the dreams and ideas for projects which all started in this place...

Walking down the hallway, Jolis allowed his hand to brush against the stone wall as he did.

Coming to a stop at the end of the hall, Jolis had finally arrived at his destination. The years that had passed did little to drown out the memories of his time here in his old workshop.

It was a small cramped room with little in the way of natural light. As such, Jolis had once designed and built a small luma cube to allow himself to work later into the evening.