Chapter 24 - Plea to the Mountain

He could feel their presence before he saw them. Marching deeper into the Triguilden Mountains, Jolis was guided solely by the Force as the light of the outside world gradually faded away.

What began as an inclination that he was being watched slowly transformed into the sounds of voices as he approached.

As he walked, the large object he carried behind him levitated gracefully. Gift, offering, sign; it was just what he needed to get their attention.

"Jolis!"

A familiar voice called out to him from afar.

Other voices could be heard as well.

"He has returned."

"The Nahai'i..."

Continuing his walk, Jolis sensed he now had the attention of the entire village as he approached.

They seemed to be gathering at an opening that had once served as a barricade which lead to their village proper.

They had been pushed to the brink of extinction by the Terentatek. Now, such a barricade was no longer needed.

After his first battle with the Terentatek, Jolis' wounds were terrible but the Nahassi had given him a second chance at life. It was only fair that he returned the favor.

Coming to a stop in front of the mass of people who'd gathered to witness his return, Jolis could once again see the illumination of numerous lights dancing about the people before him. Although they did not offer any sort of physical illumination to the surrounding area, the effect was seen through the Force from those who'd claimed various crystals the Nahassi referred to as kaiburr.

The ethereal lights seemed to be congregated around the one Jolis could only assume was the older woman known simply as the Elder.

"We feared you were lost to the mountain, Jolis," said the Elder, confirming Jolis' suspicions as he approached. "When the guide who traveled with you returned, we expected you to be not far behind but you never emerged."

As much as Jolis wanted to explain what had happened, he knew that time was against him.

He came to a stop several meters in front of the tribal leader and those congregated around her. With a heave, Jolis caused the object floating behind him to land just in front of the small gathering.

Several gasps and even a few screams could be heard as they gazed upon the severed head of the Terentatek.

"I am the Nahai'i," proclaimed Jolis. "I have claimed the Sun'ari as my own, I have thrown down the beast which has cast you into darkness, I have fulfilled your prophecy and I have returned your homeland to you."

Retrieving the weapon from his belt, he ignited it. The blade crackled to life as he held it high over his head, the light causing several of the Nahassi people to cover their eyes.

"Now, I ask that you join me. The enemy of this world has returned and they seek to destroy all in their path. The life and very future of Atophis now hangs in the balance. We must make our stand. We must fight together with our fellow Atophi and with the others who have been freed from the clutches of the Destroyers. Join me in the coming battle; a battle which will decide the fate of our entire planet. And together, we will take back our planet!"

His words reverberated for several moments before they ultimately faded into silence.

There were no cheers, applause or calls to action. Just a long and awkward silence.

This was not the reaction he'd been hoping for.

"You come to us on the path of war, Jolis Opachi," replied the Elder. "The Great Light has given you much power as well as the ability to construct this saber of light using the Sun'ari. I feel its radiating power from here. Its life-force is now bound to yours, amplifying the living Force around you.