Chapter 4: An Inn, At Last

"This will do nicely." Felix seemed content as he surveyed their newly acquired room at the local inn of a small village.

Shae nodded. The room wasn't huge, and the wooden furniture was worn, but it was clean and after sleeping on the ground for the past couple of nights, she was happy for the prospect of sleeping in a bed again. It had taken them all of the previous day and most of this one to find a settlement. Luckily, Felix had come away with his coin purse when they were attacked, so they had money to pay for their lodging.

"I've ordered up a bath," he said as he dropped their saddlebags on a small chair standing in a corner. "While you make use of that, I will find a store to get us some clothes."

He disappeared before she could reply, which was probably just as well. They'd spoken very little since the morning she'd made a fool out of herself by caressing his face. True to his nature, Felix had tried to start a conversation a few times, but her short answers had eventually deterred him. The idea of sharing a room with him was not an appealing one, but they had to be conscious of how much they spent as what little money they had must last to Messina. The luxury of sleeping in a bed again would have to be worth it.

Setting down her bow and quiver on the floor, she gave the bed a longing look. She swallowed. The one bed. The room only had one. She groaned inwardly. Three years of avoiding sleeping in the same bed as her husband, and now she had no choice. Unless she wanted to sleep on the floor. Which she did not.

A soft knock sounded at the door, and two maids entered, carrying a wooden tub between them. Placing it in the middle of the room, they disappeared quickly, only to return with barrels of hot water. Once the tub was filled enough for a bath, they curtsied and closed the door behind them as they left. Two towels and a bar of soap had been placed on the bed.

After divesting herself of her dirty clothes, she sank into the tub, letting out a sigh of contentment as the warm water worked its magic on her aching muscles. It felt divine to wash off the dust and grime from the days on the road. Using the soap, she washed her long hair, loving the feeling of being clean again. She lingered in the bath longer than necessary, submerged in the water now slightly scented from the soap. Something sweet and flowery. Closing her eyes, she leaned her head back against the tub. Felix had not long been gone, so she had a little longer before he returned.

Felix was rather pleased with his success in finding what he needed in the few shops in the village

Felix was rather pleased with his success in finding what he needed in the few shops in the village. It had taken some time, and maybe a little more of their coin than he had hoped, but he had managed to acquire a new set of clothing for both of them, and some provisions for when they were out on the road and couldn't find an inn for the night. He whistled a merry tune as he took the steps to the upper floor of the inn two at a time, his arms full with his loot. As he reached the door to their room, he fiddled with the doorknob until he got it open.

"Mission accomplished," he said as he kicked the door closed behind him. "Clothing and provisions. I hope you like chick—" His words lodged in his throat as he looked up to find Shae standing in a tub of water. Naked. Very, very naked.