Chapter 10

A/N: Another chapter for you guys! I hope everyone is still enjoying this! Leave me a comment or kudos if you are. :) Again, I haven't read the books so its going to look different if you have! This story is just based off the TV show.

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 10

He sat at his desk feeling relief and anger warring within him. On the one hand, Alina was alive and he had a way to contact her, and on the other the Apparat had her and the tracker was with her. Anger started to win as he pictured them kissing. He stood from his desk, prepared to take his wrath out on the closest living creature that was unfortunate enough to cross his path, when he heard faint words in his head.

"I miss you Aleksander"

Had that been Alina? He reached out, but couldn't feel her presence. His anger faded, slightly pacified, as he left his rooms. Ivan fell into line with him as he walked towards the council hall. When he opened the large oak doors, he found his grisha were seated, waiting for him.

"The amplifier David installed is working. I have made contact with Alina. The Apparat has her, and since it worked we can assume she has the stag antlers. Do we have any news from our grisha abroad or the ones I sent out?" the general asked.

"We've heard back from all of our agents that were already in place, and they have seen nothing. Zoya should be in West Ravka soon. The others we sent out have found nothing suspicious so far in the countryside," Fedyor said.

"I want Danlin to find out what happened to the tracker Mal. I know the Apparat has him as well now. If we can trace the tracker's disappearance from the army, he might lead us to Alina. Danlin has been keeping an eye on the army and might have noticed something. Tell him to look into the matter," Kirigan said. Fedyor nodded, then Genya spoke up.

"The king's health is still poor. It looks more likely that the Apparat poisoned him before he left. The timing is too much of a coincidence for a normal illness."

"The Apparat wants the sun summoner to be his champion to bring down the fold, and then he'll move to take the throne," Kirigan said angrily.

"Surely Alina wouldn't support the Apparat," Genya protested. A concerned look passed among the grisha.

"The Apparat might use her tracker friend as leverage, and she does not know him as well as some of us do. He knows how to make a compelling argument. There is a reason the weasel has as much power as he does," Kirigan said disdainfully.

"At least she should be safe with him for now, if that is his plan," Genya said. Ivan snorted and Fedyor elbowed him.

"If she goes along with his plans, she might be safe until the fold goes down, but he won't hesitate to make her a martyr. He needs her alive for now, but that doesn't mean she's safe," Kirigan said.

He could tell they wanted to ask if Alina would tell him where she was, but none of them dared bring up the question.

"You will report to me immediately if there is news. And keep an eye out for the Apparat's spies. He wouldn't leave the palace without having eyes and ears on the king and possibly the grisha," Kirigan said. "You are dismissed."

Kirigan turned and left the room, never having sat down. He couldn't he sit when Alina was out there in the hands of the Apparat. Ivan trailed behind him at a respectful distance in case he needed anything.

He made his way down to the dungeons where some druskelle they had captured were waiting. The druskelle had made it as far as Ryevost, looking for grisha to torture. They would learn better. When he was done with them, he would send them back to Fjerdan, crawling on their hands and knees. And if they ever saw a grisha again, they would soil themselves. He smiled. He would find Alina and he would feed Mal to some volcra. His day was improving.