Chapter 11

A/N: This is my longest chapter yet. You can thank me by leaving a comment or kudos ;) I might try to write the next few chapters before posting another. I only planned to have this be a 3-5 chapter story, but the plot bunnies ran away with it! So I don't know exactly how this will end, and don't want to have to revise chapters after I post it if the characters decide to take this in a different direction than I'm planning! I will be updating it sooner or later though :)

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 11

Her eyes felt glued shut, and her arm felt overly stiff, like she'd been laying in one position for far too long. Alina scrubbed her eyes and blinked a few times. Then with a start she realized there was a man sitting in her chair, watching her wake up. She sat up quickly, looking around for something she could use as a weapon. Then her brain recognized the man staring at her over steepled hands.

"Apparat, what are you doing here?" Alina asked. Mentally she prepared to summon her light if she needed to. She also stood, as staying in her bed made her feel vulnerable.

He was silent for another moment, then replied, "Sankta Alina, I heard there was a disagreement between yourself and your tracker friend. I don't want to get in the middle of a lovers quarrel, but if you need anything, you only have to come to me and ask. I hope you know that."

"Thank you," Alina said politely. She was sure he'd be happy to hear her ask, but doubted he'd grant any requests. "I need to practice my light summoning now that I have the amplifier. Do you have a place I could do that, preferably not in the city in case there is an explosion of light?" The Apparat looked thoughtful.

"Yes, that is a good idea. We have the rally tonight that will set events in motion. There might be time in the next couple days for you to practice in the forest south of the city. After Zlatan is taken care of, there will be more time. Don't worry though Sankta Alina; your training to destroy the fold is very important to all the people of Ravka."

"Yes, including you. You are the one who put the stag antler's on me, aren't you?" Alina asked. Before he had evaded answering her, but this time she would get the truth.

"As I said before, the Darkling set that in motion. You do need the amplifier to destroy the fold though, so yes, I gave you the amplifier, and then rescued you from the Darkling. You didn't want to be his slave for the rest of your life did you?" the Apparat said.

"Of course not!" Alina said. 'I don't want to be your slave either.' she thought.

"I would love to stay and talk longer Sankta Alina, but I must go and prepare for tonight. I will see you at the rally. You only need to give a short talk, sharing your love and concern for the people of West Ravka, and showing them your light. They need you now. The people are afraid, and you are their hope," the Apparat said as he got up to leave.

"I want to leave my rooms, and go downstairs to get something to eat. Could you not just leave me some money instead of sending someone to bring me food every morning?"

"I wish I could, but we have our funds invested elsewhere and have an excess of food. People are constantly donating food to my churches. We've been distributing it to the people here and to you. I do not control where you go Sankta Alina, but I do not advise going far. If you are spotted by the Darkling or Zlatan's spies, you aren't the only one who would suffer. Until tonight Sankta Alina," the Apparat said. He nodded his head respectfully towards Alina, then left. The man was as slippery as an eel.

Alina turned to the wash basin to wash up, expecting that either Mal or the fanatic that brought her food would be in before too long. She just wanted to be left alone for a while, and she really didn't want to see Mal after he stabbed her with a needle.