Chapter 17

A/N: Thanks again for reading, voting, and commenting! I hope you enjoy this chapter! Who doesn't love Alina/Aleksander quality time ;)

Chapter 17

Alina walked into the Little Palace and felt safe for the first time in weeks, which she didn't miss the irony of. The last time she was here, she had felt trapped and scared. 'Spending time with the Apparat would change anyone's perspective. And it's different this time.'

She'd only been gone for under a month, but it felt like an eternity. The Darkling led her to her room by himself and her breath caught when she reached the door.

"There will be no guards Alina, as you gave me your word you would be staying," Aleksander said, then turned to go.

"Wait! You are leaving already?" Alina protested.

"Yes, I have things to attend to after my sudden absence. Besides, you have someone waiting for you. I will see you tomorrow Alina," Aleksander said with a smirk. Alina blushed, then walked into her room wondering who would be waiting for her.

"Alina!" someone yelled and smothered her in a hug.

"Genya! I missed you!" Alina said.

"Yes, I heard your only company has been the Apparat, an idiot tracker, and Zoya. Anyone would miss me," Genya said. Alina gave her a playful punch and smiled.

"You are a vast improvement," Alina said genuinely.

"I haven't heard much of what happened. Care to tell me about it?" Genya asked.

"I would love to, but I think it will have to be tomorrow. Getting us across the fold and our journey back took more energy than I realized. We rested for the night at that one inn, but Aleksander was in a rush to get back. I can't even keep my eyes open," Alina said, stifling a yawn.

"That must be why General Kirigan let me have you tonight. He knew you weren't up for much," Genya teased. Alina blushed again.

"I don't know what you mean Genya," Alina said, showing her friend out the door.

"Goodnight Alina," Genya said with a big grin as she left.

Alina made her way to her bed, barely managing to remove her kefta before she was fast asleep.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Alina woke slowly, but sat up abruptly when she remembered the battle. The adrenaline came back to her in a rush and made her heart beat fast, until she was able to take in her surroundings and remind herself that she was safe now. She hated fighting, and especially hated people fighting in her name. Whatever it took, she would make sure it did not happen again.

There was a knock at her door and Genya breezed in. The woman had an effortless beauty and confidence that drew admiration from those around her. Alina envied that confidence.

"Good morning sleepyhead! The general said to let you rest, but it's almost lunch time!" Genya said with a smile.

"Oh!" Alina said in surprise, "I guess crossing the fold really did wear me out. What is the plan for today?"

"I'm to help you get dressed, see you get fed, and then you are going on an afternoon ride with General Kirigan. He said something about you being cooped up for too long, but I think he just wants time with you all to himself," Genya teased. Alina just blushed and ignored her.

With Genya's help, bathing and dressing was a short business. A maid brought in a tray of several pasties and cheeses. Alina devoured them. Meals in the Little Palace hadn't always been fancy, but she had always had enough to eat here, and someone wanted to make sure she had a special meal now. The pastries were divine.