Chapter 18

A/N: Ok, sorry for the long wait! BUT I have it all written now! I wanted to have the whole story done before I posted again. So keep an eye out for the next chapter soon! Its all written, and just needs some editing. Don't forget to leave a comment and/or vote if you liked it!

______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 18

Aleksander had spent the rest of the day preparing for the Apparat and dealing with the chaos. He knew the man would show up with an army. Exhausted, he sat in the chair in his war room. His wounds ached and he knew if he did not rest the large slice down his chest might break open. Alina had wanted to stay with him, and he had let her help with some things before sending her away. The Sun Summoner's presence would be calming on the people in the Little Palace so he sent her to talk to the grisha.

Alina. He had been alone for so long. Even as a child, Baghra had them constantly moving around and forbid him from making friends. Then something came up that drew Baghra away when he was ten years old. He ended up staying in one village for several months, and he even made friends for the first time with two boys. Learning to laugh and make jokes for the first time, he had started to feel normal.

They were his best friends, and he trusted them, until they tried to murder him. He knew to avoid human contact, but one of them had jumped out on top of him as a joke and discovered he was a human amplifier. Then they had tried to drown him. As he was struggling in the icy waters, he used the cut for the first time. It was wild, but it managed to kill both of his attackers. He wept and swore to obey his mother and never make friends again.

Then there was Luda. He had loved her, only to have her snatched away by the treacherous king that was supposed to be his ally. He had defeated the man's enemies for him, but the king had listened to his advisors and turned on the Darkling in fear. Everyone always feared and distrusted the grisha. The only way to keep the grisha safe was to be more powerful than their enemies.

After Luda, he told himself that he would never love again. The Merzost made it easier, as it ate away at his humanity. However, he still found himself obsessed with Alina. He didn't know if it was love. He hardly recognized that emotion anymore. He had argued with himself for a long time that he just needed her to control the fold; needed her by his side because everyone else would die and leave him. He knew it went past that now. His darkness needed her light.

There was only one way to deal with the situation with the Apparat. He only hoped Alina would agree with him. The woman could be stubborn when she wanted to be. Aleksander smiled fondly at that thought. He reached through the amplifier and could feel that she was in her room, already asleep.

He felt the heaviness of his own limbs, and knew his wounds would only heal with rest. He walked over to his chambers and slipped into his large bed. Pulling the black sheets over his head, he quickly fell asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________

Alina woke up, her thoughts immediately going to Aleksander. She imagined kissing him again and smiled. Genya chose that moment to walk in.

"Well, I'm happy about our fat, disgusting king dying too. Is that what you are thinking about Alina?" Genya joked. Alina laughed.

"Genya, don't joke about it! The Apparat will probably attack soon and is already spreading those rumors about Aleksander," Alina said.

"Aha, that was who you were really thinking about wasn't it? Did you have a nice ride?" Genya asked with a smirk. Alina threw her pillow at her as she stood up.