8 | Darkness At Our Doors

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Glory dwelt in that city of Gondolin of the Seven Names, and its ruin was the most dread of all the sacks of cities upon the face of Earth."
― J.R.R. Tolkien from The Fall of Gondolin 

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Location: Ondolindë, North Beleriand, Middle Earth

Time: 510 F.A

Today had been the festival of the Gates of Summer, and many were preparing for the sunrise that was to come. [1]

She had been working with Ingolmo all night, preparing for the festival along with the work Idril and Tuor put her to with their project. As she had been writing down half of the notes, she noticed a light beginning to appear from the window of her study.

Placing her quill down, she massaged her hands before standing to head to look. Had it been sunrise already? She could have sworn it would not be for another few hours until she knew there were people already lined outside the Great Market. Most of the house of the Golden Flower would be around here, beginning to fill the streets as they watched the first speck of light in the East.

But when she gazed up to the sky, Elemmírë did not see the familiar speck of oranges and yellows. Instead: the sky began to bleed.

Her blood grew cold, as she called out to the only person in the room, "Ingolmo..."

Hearing the shuffling and the movement of wooden chairs, the scribe headed to stand next to her – his eyes looking out into not of the East...but in the Northern direction. "Elemmírë...the sky." His breath hitched, "It shouldn't be this red."

She whispered, "No, it shouldn't."

A red sky meant something more to them. Fire and blood. Morgoth's armies have arrived, and it won't be for long until they will arrive in the city.

Elemmírë acted swiftly, informing Ingolmo to prepare to take the most important notes. Those of the maps of Beleriand as well as the scrolls of the important history of Ondolindë. If they were to not survive this, at least information of their people will be passed down and known to those in Middle Earth and of Valinor.

Soon, noises and cries were heard and they both knew that the city had seen the red sky and already were panicking. She headed to the main atrium, bumping into her brother at the right moment as well as their governor. He, like herself, was no prepared and had not worn any armour yet.

Just as they were about to speak, Hestondur answered the door and allowed one of Turgon's guards to enter. The guard bowed to them and spoke, "Lady Elemmírë, Lord Laurefindelë. King has summoned all the head of the Gondothlim to meet at the palace."

Her brother bowed, "Thank you." He added, "We will come as soon as possible."

Whilst the guard then marched off, presumably back to the palace, Hestondur had gone to prepare the households – leaving only her, Glorfindel and Ingolmo standing in the middle of the atrium.

Elemmírë quickly flickered to Glorfindel and said, "Háno... He's here." She said in a hurried voice, "Ingaran Turukáno won't allow it. We have to make sure the children make it to the pass."

Her brother's eyes never left her's, a look of recognition before he sucked in a breath. Glorfindel had only known of the plan a month ago when he had stumbled upon Ingolmo and her discussing the plans. He thought at first that the scribe had been secretly courting her, to which angered Elemmírë and terrified Ingolmo.