9 | Backstabber

9 | Backstabber

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"....He seized Maeglin by that hand that held the knife and broke the arm with the wrench, and then taking him by the middle leapt with him upon the walls, and flung him far out. Great was the fall of his body, and it smote Amon Gwareth three times ere it pitched in the midmost of the flames; and the name of Maeglin has gone out in shame from among Eldar and Noldor."

- J.R.R Tolkien from The Fall of Gondolin

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Location: Ondolindë, North Beleriand, Middle Earth

Time: 510 F.A

Salgant and his house did what Maeglin ordered, tying her up as they snuck around the city and took her back to their house. 

Elemmírë screamed and shook, but after doing so: her mouth was gagged, and her legs were bound together. She could only glare at them, easily going their minds to try and at least find some clues.

Just as she predicted, the reason why Maeglin had his support was simple that: Salgant was a coward. He led a house poorly, afraid to even bring up to arms or even aid the civilians to head to safety. Perhaps Maeglin persuaded him with enough riches and power to bring him to his side, an easy thing to fall into his traps as well as his silver-tongued voice.

She was cooped up in the main room, now emptied since most of the civilians had hidden in cellars or even in the palace. Her eyes wandered, trying to find something that she could cut the ropes that bound her. Unfortunately, a guard was situated just outside the room and another just several feet before her.

During this time, her energy had replenished, sensing her magic to resurface and begin to entwine around herself. Once she felt it grow in her chest, she slowly allowed it to swirl down to her wrists and saw the smoke rise.

Thankfully, it was dark enough, and the heat from the dragons and Balrogs were causing the water over the city to turn smoke. As she finally felt the rope cut, she massaged her hands before grabbing tightly on the rope binding her legs.

As if the timing was immaculate, there was a commotion of noise from the corridor. Just as Elemmírë was burning the rope, she spotted a figure fight against the guards at the door. The shadow was swift, their sword easily cutting down the elves before them until they appeared under the reddened light.

Her eyes grew wide as she gasped through the cloth, "Tyelpe!"

Celebrimbor panned his eyes towards her, a sharp gasp escaping his mouth as he rushed towards her and untied the gag over her mouth. She took a large breath, coughing as he began to cut the rest of her restraints.

"Mire!" He questioned her, "By Elbereth what happened?"

She stood up with the aid of Celebrimbor, glancing to him. "Who do you think?" Elemmírë told him in panic, "Maeglin knows the tunnel. We have to go...How did you find me?"

As they hurried through Salgant's home, now emptied by Celebrimbor's followers, he explained to her how he had found her. "Followed the Mole here. He was heading south of the city." As they reached the road, he stopped and looked at her. "It's too far already. And they barricaded most of the roads—"

"Follow me, I know this city for three centuries. Every shortcut." Elemmírë gestured for him and he nodded in response.

She wasn't lying to him about her knowledge. The roads were blocked by barricades and fallen debris as well as the odd orc running about. But years of running around the city with Idril, she knew every nook and cranny of the houses and buildings. They sped through tiny alleyways, dodging the flames as she felt herself sweat under her armour. The Northern Gate would fall first if she predicted it well. If not, they would surround the Western Gate next, for the cliffs of the rock would be too hard to climb.