30. Truth

Hey, just wanted to say thank you everyone for the well wishes. I'm already doing much better again. Good enough today to work from home ;-) Argh this book publishing stuff is so much more than the fun part (writing). Working on my newsletter today ^.^ (Subscribe to it on my website if you're interested: robinoconnor.ink)

Anyway, enjoy the chapter! I hope you all like it.

*

Truth

I was turning nineteen at the end of that summer and to my great joy the Undaunted had put into the harbor just days prior to it. The huge salvage ship the McLarens owned was there for some maintenance before they'd head out again in another week. This time without Dev and Mitch aboard as part of the crew.

It meant the whole McLaren family would be there plus Mitch to celebrate my birthday with me and I was looking forward to it. I'd get to have all my friends in one place and my dad had promised to be there. This time I felt I could trust he'd come true on that one since he'd been home every weekend since our talk and shared several dinners with Matt and I. I thought my dad and Matt had gotten to the point where they sort of got along and were even starting to like each other.

On the morning of my birthday we were sleeping at the big house and Matt woke me up with soft kisses and the smell of pastries and fresh cut fruit. A big cup of coffee waiting for me, made just the way I liked. He grinned at me, "Morning beautiful. Eat up, we promised to catch the lobster ourselves remember?" I groaned, "Not even a happy birthday? You just dive into work?" But it was good-natured because he knew as well as I did that I loved swimming and catching lobster was kind of fun.

But he did have presents for me. A proper holster and diving knife, the one he'd had custom made for me by his navy buddy. And more special, a silver working tool set that he'd seen me eyeing weeks ago on my laptop. I hadn't even known he'd noticed.

"Matt... This had to have cost a lot!" I said in shock as I stared at the two gifts. I actually had no clue how much money Matt and Thorne made with the Stonefish but Matt's truck was a rusty old piece of crap, at least it looked that way from the outside. He smiled gently, "Don't worry Dani Darling. I wanted your first birthday present to be something to remember okay? And this won't hurt my bottom line, don't worry."

Matt knew my dad was rich, knew I was never short on money and always declined to take home any tips. Unlike previous guys I'd dated he had never once asked for money and tended to quietly pay for things instead. I had the sense that he would never ask for money actually and that was really nice. But that didn't mean I expected him to pay for expensive things, I was not a high-maintenance kind of girl.

As if he read my mind he sighed and gently cupped my chin, "Listen Dani, you remember that you were the one who figured out my family owns Sharkfell Island right?" It was a very simple hint but I gasped in surprise, "Oh... I forgot about that. You guys are so normal! Your truck..." "Now who's a snob?" he teased but then he added, "You're the same Dani, you wear inexpensive stuff, only your own-made jewelry. Dev and I hadn't a clue about your dad's money either until we saw this house."

So we were the same really, hardworking and happy to keep things quiet and not draw attention to the fact that our bank accounts were flusher than others. Not like Jamie at all. I wondered briefly if that was partly why she felt so threatened by me.

"Now come on! Let's catch some lobster!"

*

We came out of the sea together on the beach behind my house. Matt got dressed first and waited patiently for me to follow him and dry off. Then we headed for my house further up the beach, toting our catch and talking about the best way to cook them later that afternoon. We weren't expecting the other McLarens to show up yet for another hour so we had time to set up the outdoor grill.