13: Something About Sticks

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the votes and comments! Suddenly have over 800 reads! You guys are awesome!

Enjoy the new chapter! Next update: Friday.

Much love,

Robin

*

I went to the Stonefish on Sunday for my shift even though I still felt a little out of sorts and sore between my legs. I just needed the social distraction, to be busy so I could forget about my argument with my dad. I figured if it was too much Matt would let me off easy and maybe Dev and Mitch were around. I wanted to know if Dev had told his boyfriend yet what he was.

When I stepped into the bar it was still pretty quiet and Matt was on his own behind the bar, when he saw me he waved but otherwise ignored me. That was pretty unusual behavior but maybe he still had a stick up his ass since I'd told him we didn't want the same things and thus shouldn't give dating a shot.

I couldn't shake the feeling that half his interest in me stemmed from the fact that I was like him, that I could grow a tail. That it was a revelation to be completely himself around me and that I could understand the draw of swimming in the ocean. Yet I couldn't deny that that part of him held the same appeal for me and that he was incredibly funny and easy to talk to most times. Not to mention caring when he needed to be, he might act flippant but he was a responsible person most of the time.

When Thorne showed up an hour into my shift he noticed almost immediately that something was different in the way Matt was treating me. He took me aside to ask with a worried little crease between his eyebrows: "What's gotten into him? Why's he not his usual flirty self?" I shrugged, "I think he didn't like it when I told him no. I don't do casual and I said I didn't believe he was able to do serious."

Thorne whistled between his teeth, "Lady you got a mouth on you. It's good for him." Matt's redheaded friend grinned, "I'll bet you're just what he needs to get his head on straight. If he's this grumpy over your rejection..." I liked Thorne a lot and found myself smiling at his grin, "Well he'll have to convince me of that himself. You're not worried that he's a little older than me?"

Thorne shrugged his big shoulders, "No way, you've got some life experience under your belt. I can see that in your eyes." He cast Matt a look over his shoulder and we both noticed that the guy in question was glowering in our direction, clearly upset that we were talking together in a corner. "Oh yeah, he's got it bad honey. You make sure you let him make the first move, he needs to figure out how badly he wants you."

As if to taunt his friend even more Thorne then leaned in and brushed a kiss on my cheek. "Now go hang with Mitch and Dev yeah? You still look tired. I've got you covered." Indeed I spotted a glowing and beaming Dev step into the Stonefish with Mitch looking excited and overwhelmed hot on his heels.

The two crashed in our usual booth, sharing the bench and Dev even lifted his arm to sling it around Mitch's shoulders. When I approached they both smiled in greeting and as soon as I sat down Mitch leaned closer to whisper: "You're like Dev right? You can grow a tail too?"

I slid my eyes to Dev who smiled and nodded so I answered truthfully: "Yeah but I'm really new to this stuff. Dev and Matt are still showing me the ropes you know?" "Oh cool, can I see what you look like later? Dev's taken me swimming yesterday afternoon to show me but he promised we'd go again today." He was so excited it was adorable and I reached out and ruffled his hair. "Sure Mitch if Dev's up for that I'm game."

"You sure Dani?" Dev asked me with obvious concern. "I hadn't had the chance yet to apologize but I really am sorry. I shouldn't have taken you swimming when the moon was only just gone. That was really thoughtless of me." "No hard feelings okay? I survived. By the way, you have Mariana's phone number for me? I kind of wanted to thank her for her help you know?"

At that moment Matt showed up with a tray with our usual drinks which he sat down in front of each of us with careful precision. "I'll write it down for you," he said the moment his tray was empty and he fished out a pen and notebook from his back pocket and scribbled it down. Instead of handing me the note and using the excuse to touch me like I would expect from him, he just placed it down on the table in front of me and walked off without another word.

"Whew..." Mitch murmured, "What did you do to piss him off?" I was starting to find Matt's grumpy behavior funny so I grinned and said, loud enough for Matt to overhear: "I told him I don't believe he can do a steady relationship. Didn't go over well as you can tell." I made an expansive, casual gesture vaguely in Matt's direction while I grinned at my two friends. Dev and Mitch shot me answering grins, "Oh that's perfect Dani."

That afternoon I left with Mitch and Dev in one of their boats and we headed out to Sharkfell Island. Once there Mitch got into his diving gear while I slipped into my bikini and wrap, waded out into the water and tossed my discarded wrap back onto the sand the moment I was changed.

The three of us spend a good three to four hours swimming in the reefs. Enjoying the sights and just having a great time. Now that I knew they were actually a couple they didn't hide it either and would occasionally hug or kiss and sometimes they'd hold hands while swimming; it was cute.

I was invited for dinner at the McLaren house again that night and so was Mitch and that was really nice. To see how Dev's parents just welcomed the change in relationship status between the two, telling Mitch they were happy to have him be part of the family like that. Mitch and Dev were positively glowing by the end of the night, no doubt high on the wave of acceptance from the family. Though Mitch admitted he was a little worried his mom wouldn't take it quite so well.

Matt was at the dinner too but he was silent and broody most of the evening and then told his dad suddenly out of nowhere that he'd do it. There was an awkward pause in the natural flow of conversation and then Matt expanded, "I'll go on that salvage with you like you wanted. It's two weeks right?"

I exchanged a surprised look with Dev who simply shrugged. Then Orly said, "Glad to have the extra set of hands. Dad was worried it would be too deep for him to dive comfortably." Matt shrugged, "I'll be happy to have a change of scenery for a bit." His dark eyes flicked to me for a brief moment before he added more quietly, "Got some thinking to do."

After that conversation picked up again until it was time to go home. Matt didn't offer to give me a ride but Orly and Mariana were willing to drop Mitch and me off so that was fine. On the way out the door I paused to ask Clara if she could recommend a dry cleaner, I needed to get my dad's suits washed, preferably asap because I never knew when he'd be back.

*

Ah oh, Matt gone for two weeks? What could possibly go wrong?