11: Jumping Out and Burning Up

Waaah almost five hundred reads! Thank you guys so much :-) I'm happy to see people still like what I write. It means a lot to me!

Enjoy this chapter!

*

Jumping Out and Burning Up

The next two hours were fun, the family first just talked and hung out a bit and then Clara brought out some altered board games. With pawns filled with water so the guys could move them from a distance. Though the dice held absolutely no water and were rolled in a bowl that they passed around, to prevent cheating I bet.

It was near midnight when the whole gathering wound down a bit. I hung with Dev on one side of the pool while Orly and Mariana were sort of snuggled together in a more dark corner. With Orly still half in the water and Mariana dried up and in clothing sitting on a pillow, Orly's head in her lap. They were talking softly together, laughing occasionally while Mariana toyed with his ears or his gills down the side of his neck. They looked entirely in love and cozy together.

At the end of the pool nearest the land tunnel entrance Matt and his dad were deep in conversation about something again to the point of almost arguing. With Clara curled on her side on a blanket, clearly dozing nearby. Thomas was holding one of her hands and never once raised his voice to prevent waking her.

Then Dev nudged my shoulder, "Come on lets go swim. This is getting boring." He didn't wait for my reply but slipped underwater and out of the cave as quiet as a shark. I didn't know if it was safe yet for me outside but I figured Dev wouldn't put me or himself at risk and it had been hours now. I slipped, slightly less quietly underwater and followed him out.

Dev had waited for me right outside and together we started out, darting through the reef, having fun chasing each other. Then Dev suddenly gave chase to a rather sleepy looking large fish that turned out much faster than it looked and I had to fight to keep up. As a result I was nearly out of breath by the time I managed to get hold of Dev's tail and he spun, dislodged me and then had me pinned into the sand at the bottom of the ocean floor in the blink of an eye.

He was grinning widely and let me up shortly after and when he did I used some powerful pushes with my fin to get me to the surface. I was gasping for air when I got up and drew in a few greedy lungfuls. I was filled with excitement, I was having so much fun.

Then everything turned upside down, quite literally. Matt surfaced like a breaching shark and landed on me heavily and the two of us went spinning to the ocean floor. I was panicked for a moment, not experienced enough to get us out of the twist or out of his grip on me. I was also feeling rather disoriented and sort of tingly throughout my body.

Matt however got us righted and then with his arm around my waist lugged me back at high speed to the Moonfell. Everything was still sort of spinning around me so I had a hard time focusing on what was happening but I thought I caught Dev swimming after me. I tried to help swimming but every time I moved my tail the tingling in my body intensified until I was starting to think something was seriously wrong with me. Instead of fighting with Matt I held on tight to him instead, feeling like his sleek skin and strong body were the only thing that helped me feel normal.

When we surfaced inside the cave Matt let go off me immediately and pushed me away with enough force that I slid through the water and hit the nearby ledge. I could barely hold on to it and keep my head above water. Matt gave me one long look, clearly spitting mad and then spun on Dev who just surfaced into the cave looking worried and a little confused.

"Are you out of your mind? Did you want her so bad you had to go and drug her to get your way?" Matt yelled and I frowned, drug me? Want me? What the hell was he talking about? But when I tried to talk my tongue felt thick in my mouth and I couldn't get a word past my lips. I felt suddenly too warm, like I was on fire.