Chapter 24 - Plus One

A couple of weeks passed since Shim Hye-won's unfortunate hospital stay.

To her dismay,  Kang Gook still had not proposed to Hye-won.

A few weeks later, Kang Gook switched jobs and was now employed with the security team of another chaebol family, upon referrals from Yoo Hyun-chul. He received better pay, benefits and his hours were more predictable than his previous job. He was also being trained for cybersecurity which Kang Gook enjoyed to no end.

"I'm learning so much, Chipmunk!" Kang Gook told her over lunch one time. "And there's lots of opportunities here. I can get stable working hours or work from home when I need to put in long hours and it pays well."

Hye-won kissed his cheek. "I'm so happy you're enjoying your work, baby. I'm so proud of you."

"That's all that matters," Kang Gook assured.

Still, there were nights when he needed to stay overtime at the office so Hye-won was either at her parents' house or, like on this night, having dinner at Jin Ah and Jin Woo's penthouse.

"I'm so glad you took a break from all that sex to invite me over," Hye-won teased. "Geesh! Your lips are always swollen when I see you!"

Jin Ah's hand flew to her lips but didn't deny anything. She and Jin Woo snuck in a couple of rounds — okay, it was more than a couple — that morning (and afternoon), because they wouldn't be able to do much with Hye-won staying over.

"Shut it, Hye-won-ah," Jin Ah warned. "Besides, we're engaged and are marrying soon. We just wanted to advance the honeymoon!"

Hye-won cackled. Moving the conversation to the upcoming wedding, "These are the flowers we expect in time for your wedding," Shim Hye-won said to Yoon Jin Ah, while showing her photos of the arrangement she planned. "Are you sure you don't want to move the date back so that we can have tulips?"

"Oh no! No, no, no. I want to marry Jin Woo soonest!" Jin Ah declared.

Shim Hye-won chuckled. "It's not as if you're not living like a married couple. You even sold your place already!"

Jin Ah blushed. "Jin Woo wanted me here. Besides, he's been dumping many of his clothes in my apartment that he looks even more unkempt than when we first started dating. Being here allows me to iron his clothes and hang them neatly! His mom even noticed the difference!"

Hye-won chuckled but that reminded her of an outstanding issue: Jin Ah's mother. "How is Jin Woo Oppa and Auntie Mi-yeong?"

Jin Ah sighed. "Jin Woo sometime goes to our home to have lunch with my mom. At first, Eomma didn't even want him to step foot inside but Appa insisted. Lately, Eomma has been joining them for lunch but still barely says a word to Jin Woo. He always looks at the positive side and calls it progress but I know it continues to hurt him."

Hye-won hugged Jin Ah. "I asked my Eomma to talk to Auntie Mi-yeong, too. Eomma says Auntie listens but quickly changes the topic when it's about Oppa."

"Thank you, Hye-won-ah."

"Of course! Anything for you and Jin Woo Oppa," Hye-won assured. "But... what if Auntie doesn't give her blessing by the time the date of the wedding comes?"

Jin Ah sighed again. "That would be unfortunate but, like I said before, then we will marry without it. I really love Jin Woo and want to start our life together."

"You're so whipped for him!" Hye-won teased.

"She is!" Jin Woo piped up. Coming from the kitchen, he placed the dishes he cooked on the table then hugged Jin Ah. Kissing her cheek, he warned, "Don't try to deny it."