2| Slacker

1st person Y/N POV

lots of typos. I'll fix them in a bit

====

I ended up being spam-called by a lot of my friends the next day due to the incident. They all felt horrible, but they were using up my minutes, so I had to tell them to stop bothering me...

The only person I ended up calling after that was Michael's house phone. I didn't have the money to afford a Motorola DynaTAC, so I had to pull up a chair to the wall phone. Each call lasted about 30 minutes. It always ended with one of us running out of minutes, or Mrs. Afton calling Michael away from the phone. We spoke this way for about 2 weeks until Michael's mother Popped onto the phone during one of our conversations. 

"Y/N! Hello!" She greeted. I heard Michael groan in the background. "I've been wanting to speak for a while, but Michael always hangs up before I have the chance, how are you? Is Michael being nice?" 

"I'm doing f-" 

"That's great!" She interrupted. Im sure she didn't mean to do it on purpose. "Listen, Y/N, Im having some people over today. Liz is inviting a few of her friends." SHe explained. 

"That's cool, tell her I said hello," I said shortly. 

"Well, why don't you come over? Im making dinner, and I'm sure Mike would be glad to have you here!" 

"Mom!" Michael yelled from the background. I heard Mrs. Afton laugh. 

"I wouldn't mind coming for dinner." I agreed. I could almost hear the 'i told you so' look that Mrs. Afton gave to Michael, based on his reaction to it. 

"Lovely...You remember the way, right? Look both ways before you cross the street, and-" 

"Don't talk to strangers, I know." I sighed. "Yes, I remember. I will be over in a few hours." 

"Wonderful!" She said. there was then a moment of silence, and Michael cut back onto the phone. 

"Sorry about her. you don't have to come if you don't want to, she's just really social." He said quickly. "A lot of people from her reading club are coming over too, so it might be a bit crowded- don't feel pressured to-"

"Michael it's fine." I interrupted. I heard him sigh heavily. "Do you not want me to come?" 

"No, I don't mind! I just don't want mom to make you feel too stressed about it." He then laughed. "She's sort of crazy...in a good way!" He said after gasping. I assumed his mom might have said something about that comment. 

"Alright, cool. I'll be over later then- but I've got to go- my line is running short..." I groaned. "I'll talk later." I heard Michael hum in response, then the line go dead. I hung the phone back up onto the wall. That conversation was so fast-paced and informative that I had to stop and think for a moment. 

Mrs. Afton was a very nice woman. 

I left my kitchen and went to the sitting room, where I had a few books laid out. I owned a zenith television, but the antennas on it weren't working, so I had to pass time by talking on the phone or reading. I usually went out with friends, but...you know, I'm not in the mood for them. 

Michael was easy to talk to, and his mother was nice. His sister, Liz, who was 6 years old, often joined in our conversations. He was someone who I could comfortably call a friend. 

He was hard to read, though. At least over the phone. His tone didn't change often unless he was whining to his mom, and he never shared much about how his family was unless it was his mom. in 2 weeks of daily talking, I still didn't know much about him.