The Nightmare Before Christmas

Gwen Byers dragged Hopper to the Byers dinner table, a small smile adorning her face while the man grumbled about needing to learn to stand up to kids under his breath. The poor man didn't stand a chance against the 7-year-old's puppy-dog eyes when she asked him to stay for dinner. Once the two were sitting in their chairs, Gwen scanned the room to make sure no one was looking before quickly scrounging up a plate of food. When the girl was done,she slid the to-go plate to Hopper, with a sly wink as she whispered, "For El."

The chief of police simply nodded, his mustache curving upwards slightly as he put the plate in his bag. The pair didn't have to wait long before Joyce came rushing in with a pan of burnt ham in her hands, immediately followed by Johnathan who was filming her epic cooking fail. Will attempted to sneak over to the chair next to Gwen only to be shooed away by Joyce, who refused to be more than a foot away from her daughter. The Byers girl laughed as Johnathan zoomed in on Will's pouting face with his camera. Suddenly, an idea popped into Gwen's brain. She sprang up from the table, slamming her hands on it with a gasp, effectively startling everyone else.

"Honey, what's--" Joyce started, only for her excited daughter to cut her off.

"Don't worry, Will. I know just the thing to cheer you up!" Gwen practically squealed before skipping away.

Everyone exchanged confused glances, wondering what the Byers girl was up to. The group of four watched the 7-year-old curiously as she brought out the stereo and plugged it into an outlet. Gwen turned to them and grinned adorably, causing a giddy smile to appear on her mother's face. She was just happy her baby was back. Knowing smirks appeared on Johnathan and Will's faces as Gwen turned up the stereo, and "Underneath the Tree" by Kelly Clarkson started playing. Hopper still looked lost.

You're here where you should be.

Gwen grinned devilishly as she grabbed Will's hands and dragged him to the middle of the living room.

Snow is falling as the carolers sing.

Johnathan had a small smile adorning his face as he filmed his siblings dancing around the living room.

It just wasn't the same.

Joyce looked like she was either about to get up and join the dancing or burst into tears as she gazed at her two youngest kids prancing around the living room.

Alone on Christmas day

Will and Gwen giggled wildly as they took hold of each other and galloped across the room.

Presents, what a beautiful sight

"Is that a plastic fork?" Gwen questioned as she spotted a spikey utensil peeking from under the living room rug.

Don't mean a thing if you ain't holding me tight.

Both kids shrugged with a laugh before twirling each other around again.

You're all that I need.

Joyce looked absolutely jubilant as Gwen mouthed the lyrics and pointed at her while she shimmied her shoulders.

Underneath the tree

Everyone at the table burst into applause when Will and Gwen pulled out their jazz hands at the end of the song. Both siblings interlocked hands before taking a bow. Gwen turned to Will with a radiant smile as she bumped his shoulder playfully.

"So, you feel better now?"

~:~

Joyce Byers couldn't take her eyes off her daughter as the 7-year-old flitted around the Byers' kitchen, wrapping up cookies to take to her friends for Christmas. Hopper had left about an hour ago, but not without giving Gwen a hug. In the two hours, the Byers girl had been home, her mother had not left her side once. In fact, Joyce couldn't seem to bear the idea of letting go of the girl even for a second. Constantly holding her hand, touching her shoulder, caressing her hair, kissing her cheek, or just coming up and hugging her from behind for absolutely no reason., which was what she was doing right now.