Expect the unexpected

The minute Mike pulled away from Gwen, Joyce was pulling the girl away to the farthest corner of the room. "We need to talk," Joyce said as she came to a stop and blocked her daughter from leaving.

"Mom," Gwen tried to go around her, only for the woman to step in front of her potential exit, "can't we do this later? I need to find Barb."

Before her mother could answer, loud clapping coming from the top of the stairwell could be heard. Gwen grabbed her mom's hand before dragging her over to where the rest of the group was. They all pulled out a weapon, except Mike who for some reason thought a candlestick was the way to go, as heavy footsteps came toward them. Gwen felt her heart drop to the pit of her stomach when Brenner came into view.

"Crap," she put a hand to her forehead as she glanced at El, "I forgot about him."

"Well, well," Brenner started as he advanced toward the group, looking around at all the corpses scattered across the floor. "Looks like you all had your share of fun."

"Don't come a step closer," Hopper warned as he pointed his gun at the scientist's head.

"I just came to collect what's mine," Brenner looked toward the supernatural girls. "Eleven, Gwen let's go."

"Hate to break it to you Brenner but Gwen is mine and I'm not letting you take Eleven," Joyce growled as she put a protective hand in front of the girls.

"Oh, well, that's too bad," he tsked as he took a step back. "Because I happen to have some very valuable information on where your missing Holland girl is."

"Barb?" Nancy questioned before cocking her gun, slightly startling the man. "Tell me what you know."

"That's not how a deal works," Brenner shook his head. "A deal means that both parties get something in return and I want my test subjects."

"How's this for a deal," Gwen stepped around her mom's hand and towards Brenner, concocting a lie on the spot. "You give me Barb and I will let you keep your lab."

"Perhaps you don't understand what's happened," Brenner folded his hands together. "I already have my lab but you don't have your friend. You lost. Take it with grace."

"You are going to hand her over," Gwen took another intimidating step toward the man, "when you hear what I have to say."

"My dearest Gwen," Brenner smiled cunningly as he looked down at the girl, her glaring right back up at him, "there's nothing you can say that can trump the fact that I know where Barb is and you don't."

"Yes," Gwen responded, drawing out the word in a way that made Brenner's arrogant smirk fall slightly. "But getting the word out of what you've been doing in this lab is much easier."

The Byers girl smirked as she tilted her chin up to look at the man, "Word that the head of Hawkins lab is mad. That he manipulates innocent children into doing his dirty work. How many dissatisfied citizens, hungry for justice, do you think will step into the vacuum?"

"You're talking about a war," Brenner stepped toward the girl, Gwen didn't even flinch as he paced back and forth in front of her. "Every citizen in the United States would be out for this lab if word got out. Every judge that has a grudge against me will be lined up outside of the gates. They'll fight us. They'll fight each other." Brenner stopped and looked at her, crossing his arms. "You wouldn't do it. It would destroy this lab."

"You are the ruthless head of Hawkins Laboratory," Gwen clasped her hands together. "I am an innocent little girl looking for her friend. Whose side do you think Hawkins will take?"

"If I thought you were serious," Brenner strode toward her, towering over the girl, "you wouldn't leave this room alive."

"I sent three reporters out this afternoon," Gwen stated, making Brenner's face pale. "Unless they hear from me with the agreed-upon phrase, they will deliver my tape recorders to two judges and the Secretary of defense. The world will know that Hawkins lab tortures their subjects."