Savior on a skateboard

8 months later...

Gwen Byers smiled from her place on top of Hawkins Skate Park. Even though the girl had no idea how to skate, you could often find her sitting on top of one of the ramps looking at the view. She happily swang her feet back and forth as the wind blew through her golden curls. 

The Byers girl was supposed to be at school right now, but she just needed a break. Ever since the now-8-year-old girl supposedly "came back from the dead," people at school had been relentlessly bullying her. Gwen's cover story for being gone so long was that she got lost in the woods. So Gwen Byers is now known as the Hawkins Forest Freak. The blond put her head down when she heard several mocking voices jeer at her from behind. 

"Oh look! It's the Forest Freak."

"Did you ditch school to go visit your little forest friends?"

"Go find a tree and jump out of it, Freak!"

Gwen blinked back her tears as she tried to scoot away from the group. The 8-year-old let out a yelp when one of the kids kicked her from behind, causing the small girl to tumble down the ramp. Gwen groaned as her scarred back hit the hard concrete. The Byers girl tried to get up only to be pinned down by someone's heel on her back. Gwen looked up with tear-filled eyes to see that she was surrounded by the meanest girls in her school; Lindsay, Kate, and Madison.

Madison had a foot on Gwen's back while Lindsay and Kate cackled at her. A sudden burst of anger ran through the 8-year-olds veins, causing her to grab Madison's ankle and yank it forward. The older girl yelped as she fell on her butt making Gwen smirk. The blond immediately tried to run for it only to get caught by Kate and Lindsay.

"Where do you think you're going, Forest Girl?" Lindsay teased as she grabbed one of Gwen's arms, Kate grabbing the other.

The younger girl grunted as the girls pushed her onto her knees. Both of Gwen's arms were being held behind her back by the girls. She had no way out. The Byers girl was defenseless. Gwen had a glare on her face but the fear in her eyes was unmistakable as Madison's heels clicked towards her. 

Click.

Click.

Click.

Gwen let out a whimper when a hand grabbed the back of her head roughly and forced her to look up at them. 

"You think that little stunt you pulled was funny, Freak?" Madison seethed as she gripped Gwen's hair tightly. Gwen kept silent which only made the older girl angrier. 

"Answer me, Freak!" Madison yelled. 

Instead of answering, Gwen looked Madison straight in the eyes with a domineering expression on her face. The 8-year-old reeled her head back before spitting a big glob of saliva in the bully's face. Madison screeched as she rapidly wiped her eyes, making Gwen giggle to herself. Then things took a turn for the worst. 

"I'm gonna kill you, you little imp!" Madison roared before lunging toward the still pinned-down girl. 

Gwen let out a cry as an iron fist collided with her jaw. The young girl's eyes widened with horror as a metallic taste filled her mouth. The Byers girl soon realized what a predicament she was in and started to scream for help, catching the attention of a certain redhead. 

"Stop! Stop it please! Somebody help me!" Gwen begged as tears and blood trickled down the her face. 

"Nobody's gonna help you! Wanna know why? Because you're just a freak!" Madison ranted, before reeling her hand back to land another punch.

Before Madison's fist could collide with Gwen's face, a hand clamped around her wrist, stopping the girl in her tracks. All heads snapped up to see a fiery redhead, with an intimidating scowl on her face holding the girl's wrist. The bully's eyes widened in terror as they came to the realization that this kid was a middle schooler. They were only in elementary school. They couldn't fight a middle schooler!