Chapter 2

*Clara's POV*

I start to examine this mouse. He appeared to have a slimmer face and had light brown fur, with just a touch of tan. 'Wow...This mouse is handsome.' I thought. Basil smiles at Dawson, but he just gives him a confused look. Basil pulls a tab that was on his robe, just to let at some air like a balloon, revealing his more Slender figure. While I was beginning to feel love stricken, Olivia was overjoyed to see him "Mr. Basil! We need your help, and..." that's was all my sister could say, but he wasn't listening to her.

"All in good time," he said while putting on his robe that was hanging on a dart. He then threw it over his shoulder making a bullseye. I shake my head to bring me back to reality.

"But-but you don't understand. We're in terrible trouble," I try to say to him but he still keeps ignoring our request for help.

All he does is walks by me and say "If you'll excuse me." I sigh. I couldn't believe the audacity of this mouse. He should at least acknowledge Olivia and me. Dawson starts to walk toward basil and tells him off.

"Here, now, now. Now see here! These young ladies are in need of assistance. I think you ought..."Dawson tries to say but was interrupted by basil, and for some reason, he hands him a gun.

"Will you hold this, please, doctor?" he asks

"Of course," Dawson says. Not paying attention that the gun was actually pointing toward his face while holding it. I tap his shoulder and point toward the gun. Startled, he points it in the other direction. Holds it far away from him until Basil retrieves it from his hands.

"Ah wait just a moment. How did you know I was a doctor?" Dawson asks

"A surgeon to be exact. Just returned from a military duty in Afghanistan, am I right?" He asks while putting a bullet inside the gun.

"Why...oh yes! Major David Q. Dawson." He says proudly but is now stunned. "But how could you possibly-"

"Quite simple really," Basil says while holding up his arm to reveal a stitch that was on his jacket.

"You've seen your torn cuff together with a Lambert stitch, which of course only surgeons use." Basil then starts to walk over to the fireplace to gather some pillows that were sitting on the chair.

"And the thread is a unique form of catgut easily distinguished by its..." he then starts to lean toward Olivia and says "Peculiar pungency," Olivia looks up at me confused and I just shrug in response

"Found only in Afghan provinces," he finishes. He then tosses the pillows one by to Dawson.

"Amazing!" Dawson said surprised

"Actually it's elementary, my dear Dawson," Basil says while pointing the gun towards the pillows. Dawson then looks terrified and throws the pillows on the chair, which Basil then regulates the aim. Dawson and I move behind the opposite chair. I take Olivia's arm and bring her with us. I peek to see that Basil has shot fire at the pillows, which caused pink and white feathers to fly in the air. Mrs. Judson runs out of the kitchen to see what just happened, panicked.

"What in Heaven's name? OH! OH! MY-" she tries to say but then starts to spit out feathers that got in her mouth.

"My good pillows!...MR BASIL!," she says furiously. Basil pops his head above the chair, like a child that is about to get in trouble.

"How many times have I told you not to-" Basil interrupts her and says "There, there, Mrs. Judson, it's quite alright." I wondered if they had this conversation before, and he just doesn't want to listen. He must have listening difficulties. He then sniffs the air and says while pushing her gently to the kitchen "Ah...mmmm, I believe I smell some of those delightful cheese crumpets of yours, why didn't you fetch our guests some.