7. FUTILE

SHAMBHAL (YEAR 887)

6 years ago

The constant fragrance of spiritual vapors reconciles the friendly breeze and verdant blossoms beneath a nurturing sun.

Mantu (13) and Chottu (10) goof around in the field outside their home.

Chottu explains to his older brother "now turn around and fall backwards."

Mantu doubtfully raises a brow "How do I know you'll catch me?"

Chottu confidently claims "that's why it's called the game of trust, fancy pajamas! Now just trust me!"

"Fine" utters Mantu, then turns around and confirms "ready? Here I come." He dives back

Chottu begins to scratch his butt "give me a moment..."

THUD

Mantu lands flat on his back, clamoring from the pain. Chottu yells "I wasn't ready."

Mantu stands rubbing his injured spine, while shouting furiously "You fool I could have hurt my head!!!"

Chottu flinches as Mantu continues to give him a piece of his mind.

"You're stupider than the rest of humanity. Blinded by false faith and optimism, you are allowed to live your petty life being brave and self-assured but it's just not worth the disappointment. This is exactly why I don't put my faith in people."

Mantu storms off leaving Chottu startled for a moment but then without regret he laughs at his delicate brother. As Mantu steps away he hears the childish giggle re - evaluating his own position. Being physically strong never mattered to him and is proud to be a thinker...

...Untill

SHAMBHAL (YEAR 893)

Present day

Visions of Jarky's boots thumping his face will never leave his mind. Visions that rouse trauma from the hollows of his awareness.

Long after midnight, when the town is fast asleep, Mantu picks the lock of the Shambhal library and sneaks in.

Self doubt haunts him "...it's because they think I'm physical weak."

He despises, his close ones behaviors towards him.

Ealier

The warriors and troops trudge out the Shambhal gates, while Kavi privately addresses Mantu.

He politely puts it "Bhalat Palace belongs to Razok and they have refused to meet. Things could break into violence. Someone must stay back and take care of mother."

Mantu evidently wanted to go along but nods yes, as Kavi rides off with Kishan and the rest of the fighters.

Present day

Mantu tip toes around the empty library and heads to the section of forbidden scriptures.

"The truth is that I am too weak to endure this violent world, I have been lazy about my physical condition."

The loop in his mind just wont end.

Flashes of Jarky kicking him, trouble Mantu's feelings. He breaks a forbidden book out of its chains to make sure and his doubts are proven correct. They are all fake and just for show. He pushes the shelf slightly and spots a hole in the ground, while he cogitates. "The ground always did feel hollow to me."