the one where they go back home

"Hey." 

"Hi." 

"...I'm sorry. For what happened." 

"Okay." 

"I feel like every time I try to do something good... This happens." 

"It feels that way, yeah." 

"You deserve better than that." 

"Mm." 

"So... You leaving today?" 

"Yes." 

"Back home?" 

"Yes." 

"I hope you have a safe trip." 

"Thank you." 

"Emi..." 

"Yes?" 

"I'm... Can I see you off at the airport?" 

"I don't know." 

"That's fine... I. I'm sorry, I hope you get back safe, I'm so sorry for everything that happened. I didn't mean what I said before, I shouldn't have been so tough on you." 

"Thank you." 

"Send me a text when you land?" 

"Okay." 

"See you, Emi." 

"Bye, George." 

Emi hangs up the phone and closes her eyes, burying her face in her hands. 

It felt so hopeless. 

Why did she come out here? 

What was she doing? 

She felt a warm hand on her shoulder. 

She raised her head to glance to her side and sees Sota, a soft and slightly sad smile on his lips as he looks at her. 

He rubs her back again and pats it. 

She looks back and forth between his eyes for a second more before sighing and sitting back, rubbing her hand over her face once more. 

It went by in a blur, packing their bags and staring at the environment around them, taking in the last bit of wonder from the city before they inevitably returned to their homes. 

"Wah! I'm gonna miss all these lights! They're all so pretty!" Haru cried, holding her hands against her chest as her eyes shimmered, reflecting the light like stars in her eyes. 

"You fit right in here." Sota joked, pushing her shoulder. 

"Do you think?" Haru asks in a daze, eyes still wide as she looked around. 

"I could come with you when you come back out for school!" Haru says, eyes glazing over as she laughs and waves her hand, "Just kidding!" 

"You're moving for school." Emi says, frowning as the realization hit her.

She was so excited and so proud of him but she could not deny that she would miss him dearly. 

Her best friend. 

Emi suddenly wraps her arms around Sota, pressing her face against his chest and squeezing him tightly. 

He let's out an airy laugh of surprise as his face heats up.

"Group hug!" Haru shouts, wrapping her arms around both of them to the best of her ability and nuzzling into his chest. 

Sota stands there dumbstruck for a moment before breaking his arms free to wrap them around both of the girls. 

It felt good to be loved. 

At the airport, as they wait in line to get on the plane, Haru yawns, already thinking of a nap on the plane as she scratches her head lazily. 

Sota swats at her hand, "You look so lazy." he comments jokingly. 

Haru raises her hand as if she's gonna swat at him but doesn't, turning away and crossing her arms instead. 

Emi was wrapped up in her anxiety, not noticing the playful teasing going on in front of her. 

She wraps her arms around herself , an attempt to soothe the feelings she can't quite control. 

"Hey," Sota nudges her gently. "You okay?" 

Emi looks up at him, "I'm managing." She replies. 

"You've got this." He says, placing his hand on top of her head and gently petting her hair for a moment. 

Soon enough, the doors of the hall opened, the walkway leading into the plane looking daunting to Emi. 

Haru takes no time walking up to the lady, scanning her ticket and walking on in search of her seat. 

Sota takes a step forward, but when Emi doesn't move, he stops, holding out his hand to her. 

"Emi," 

She looks at his hand, then up into his eyes. 

Sota smiles warmly. 

"Let's go home." 

Emi takes a deep breath, reaching her hand out to grasp his as he leads them safely onto the plane. 

He doesn't let go of her hand for most of the flight.