the one with the apple juice

It had already been a few months since the pair had met that rainy day.

They had become fast friends. 

Sota was kind of, one of her first friends, in a sense. 

She didn't have many growing up, as she stuck around George all the time. 

But of course, 

you knew that. 

"あなたは今日ゲームをしていますか?" ( You have a game today? ) Emi asked Sota as they ate lunch in the courtyard of the college.

Sota nodded. 

He swallowed his food before responding. 

"ゲームは6時です。私はそれについてかなり興奮しています。" ( The game is at six. I'm pretty excited about it. )

Emi smiled. She was excited to go a baseball game.

She hadnt been to one in such a long time, and her excitement only grew when she attended one of Sota's practices.

George had enjoyed them, but he didn't always talk about it with Emi.

When he went to games with his friends, he didn't tell her.

She didn't blame him, though.

Back then, it was different, it wasn't like she spoke up much about enjoying the sport.

Emi was getting slightly lost in her thoughts.

When she snapped out of it, she looked at Sota, who was eyeing her with curiosity as he chewed.

"今どこにいたの?" ( Where were you just now? ) he asked.

"Sorry," Emi began.

"I just cant believe that I have a friend who is a baseball star." she smiled.

"Ah," Sota felt a heat rise to his cheeks. "I'm not that fantastic..."

"Don't say that!" she responded, hitting his arm lightly.

He then laughed, leaning in a bit.

"I'm a superstar."

Emi squinted at him, ready to swat at him, but fast heel clicking caught both the young kids attention.

They looked to their right, only to see a girl running quickly, a large smile plastered on her face as she struggled to carry the three juice bottles in her arms.

She pushed them behind one arm, and raised her hand to wave at the pair.

Emi smiled.

Her name was Haruka.

She was bright, and optimistic.

A lovely girl.

"Emi! Sota! Arigato!" she called out, waving happily.

Her attention was quickly grabbed by one of the bottles hitting the ground.

It had slipped behind her arm and fell, so she stopped, picked it up, and jogged the rest of the way to sit with the pair.

~~~

"はるかはとてもいい名前です。" ( Haruka is such a pretty name. ) Emi had commented, back when her and Haruka were acquaintances.

Both of them decided to meet to watch Sota practice.

"ありがとうございました!しかし、毎回それを言う必要はありません!" ( Thank you, but you don't have to say it every time! ) she responded.

"私はあなたに何を呼ぶべきですか?" ( What should I call you? ) Emi had asked.

"Mm..." Haruka thought about it, before smiling.

"Haru."

"Haru..." Emi repeated, nodding.

It was so appropriate.

Haruka was so warm.

Just like late spring.

Haru meant spring.

It was very suitable.

~~~

As Emi drank the juice that Haru had brought, she smiled as the two bickered playfully in front of her.

She finally had felt like she had friends, and much more had been added to her life.

She was happy.