Chapter 1 - Welcome to the Glade

They all stood around the Box, watching as the doors opened. They looked down to see a tall boy with brown hair looking up at them in confusion. Some of the boys opened the grate and Gally jumped down.

"Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine." He pulled him out of the Box and the greenie landed face first onto the ground. Plune watched with her arms crossed and an amused look on her face as the boys crowded around him, laughing and speculating what job he would be given. He suddenly pushed himself up and took off running.

"Hey! We got a runner!" Zart yelled and they all watched as the greenie ran before falling on his face and rolling, causing the boys to laugh some more and cheer. The boy stood, turning around as he noticed the tall walls surrounding them.

Plune shook her head before walking towards the boys. "Alright, back to work," she called and they dispersed back to their jobs, some staying and helping unload the Box. "You know, you could be a bit nicer since you're the designated greeter," she told Gally as he oversaw the unloading.

"Where's the fun in that?"

She smiled, rolling her eyes before jogging off to find Alby. "Hey," she called as she found him.

"Hey. How's this month's supplies?"

"Gally's got it covered. I'll take the official inventory before the bonfire."

He nodded as they walked towards the slammer. "You know, we gotta work on Gally's greeting. It's entertaining, but-"

"You really think he's gonna change it?" she asked him with an amused look.

"No," he sighed before she laughed. "Hey," he called down into the Slammer where the new greenie cowered in back as they squatted down to see him. "Hey there, Green Bean. You're not gonna run again, okay?" He didn't move. "Good." Alby unlocked the door and opened it. "My name's Alby. This is Plune. Now, can you tell us anything about yourself? Who you are? Where you came from? Anything at all?"

He looked down at his hands as he wrung them together, trying to think. "No," he let out quietly.

"Can you tell us your name?"

"No. I, uh... I can't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything?"

"It's alright," Plune said gently. "You're alright."

"Hey, relax. Relax. It's normal. It happens to us all. You'll get your name back in a day or two. It's the one thing they let us keep."

"Don't worry. It'll come back. They always do."

He looked up at them. "What is this place?"

"Let us show you," Alby offered his hand and the greenie took it.

"We call it the Glade," Plune explained as they started walking.

"We eat here. We sleep here. We grow our own food. We build our own shelter. Whatever we need, the Box provides. The rest is up to us."

"The Box?"

"You've already met," Plune told him and they looked over to where some boys were still unloading it.

"They send it once a month with fresh supplies and a new greenie. This month, that's you. Congratulations."

"Sent up? By who though? Who put us here?"

"Yeah, that we don't know," he admitted with a sad look on his face.

"Hey, you alright, Alby?"

Alby chuckled. "Green Bean, meet Newt."

"Hi," Newt shook the greenie's hand.

"When Plune and I aren't around, he's in charge."

"Well, it's a good thing you two are always around then."