Chapter 6 - Banishment and Guilt

They all gathered at the wall as the doors were about to close, the Keepers, Newt, Plune, and Alby with large wooden poles.

"Just listen to me," Ben pleaded in pants as he was pushed towards the walls. "Listen to me. Please, Minho," he snarled as Minho pushed him past the line of Keepers and near the door. "Alby." Minho pushed Ben to the ground, cutting the ropes around Ben's hand. Ben started sobbing as his veins continued to change colors and his breathing became more ragged. "No, no, please, please don't," he cried as Minho stepped towards the doors, a running pack in his hands. "Please don't do it." Minho looked back at Alby and Plune who nodded and he threw the bag into the maze, making Ben sob harder. The walls started to rumble and the large gust of air swept into the Glade. Minho came and took his pole from Plune and she readjusted her grip on hers.

"Poles!" Alby yelled and they all moved the poles to face Ben as the other boys on the sides held spears, making sure he couldn't get out. "Move in!" he ordered and the Keepers, Alby, Newt, and Plune inched forwards, pushing Ben backwards and towards the maze.

"No! No! No, no, no! Please! I can get better! Listen to me! Please! I'll get better!"

"Push him in!" Alby yelled as the walls came towards each other.

"I'll get better!" Ben cried before he had to scramble through the closing walls, screaming as they closed in front of him. The Glade was silent as the poles returned to their vertical positions, the only sound being the insects and animals.

Alby placed his pole against the walls first, turning to look at the rest of the Gladers. "He belongs to the maze now." He walked off first, the others placing their poles against the walls and doing the same thing. The boys with spears walked off, returning them to the shed as Thomas stood and stared. Plune looked back at the walls and the door, watching as Minho took another look before walking away. He walked past without looking at her, heading back to the Homestead. She closed her eyes and sighed. The boys ate dinner in silence before going to their hammocks as the sky turned dark and the torches were lit. Most boys were either asleep or almost asleep as Alby continued to sit by the fire, knees to his chest as he stared at the flames. Plune was walking back to the Homestead after finishing the spear inventory in the shed.

"We did what we had to," Alby spoke up as she walked past him and she stopped.

"I know. It was my idea," was all she said before continuing to walk, ending up in her room. Newt was already in bed as she took her hair down and got ready before joining him. She laid down and he moved closer, pressing his chest to her back as his arms encircled her body. She closed her eyes as he placed a gentle kiss on her temple before nuzzling his nose into her neck. She flipped over, wrapping her arms around his waist and burying her head under his chin, clinging to him tightly.

***

"Having too many could be confusing. Or it could make people riot if they feel like they don't have enough say," Plune said, running a hand through her hair as she looked at the piece of paper in front of her where rules had been written, revised, and crossed out.

"Okay, so keep them simple and meaningful," Alby agreed, leaning back in his seat and holding up his own list. "Maybe the different job designations can come up with more specific ones."

She nodded, "Like, for the gardens, no one can use tools without checking with the Keeper."

"You really want to name them 'Keepers', don't you?" he asked with a small smile.

"Well, what do you want to call them?"

"What about 'Group Leader'?"

She rolled her eyes. "At least you didn't name this place 'Forest'."

"Hey!" She only laughed and his eyes softened. "Okay, so Keepers can create further rules as they see fit-"

"But they come through us first so that they don't have all the power." Alby nodded, taking more notes. "What about three main rules?" he proposed. "The first could be that everyone is required to do their part. That combines a few on here," he pointed out the listed ideas.

"Okay. Rule number two... Never harm another Glader," she said, looking up at him and he hesitated before nodding.

"And the last rule, don't leave the Glade."

"Unless your job is to go into the maze."

He nodded. "There has to be some sort of punishment though.'

"What we're doing right now works."

"Holding Stephen with the livestock?" he asked doubtfully.

"Maybe not exactly, but some sort of jail."

"Okay. What if that doesn't work?" She was quiet. "What if they get violent and hurt other people? Do you think staying in jail is enough punishment for killing Nick?"

"Then what do you want to do, Alby? Kill him?" It was his turn to be quiet. "Oh my God, you do."

"Plune, he killed Nick. And Justin too!"

"Trust me, I'm aware. But does that mean we kill him? Alby, come on!"

"What do you think we should do then?"

"I..." Her mouth opened and closed as she tried to think.

"Exactly."

"What about the maze?" she let out before stopping herself.

"What?"

She sighed, closing her eyes. "What if we send them into the maze before the doors close? Give them a bag with some food and a knife. It gives them a chance, but makes sure they can't hurt anyone else."

He was quiet as he thought it over before he nodded. "Okay. Banishment it is."