Chapter 9 - Everything's Changing

The doors rumbled as they started to open, Plune looking up from her hands she had been wringing together.

"Hey, guys!" Chuck yelled to the others who had been waiting around for the doors to open too. "Get up!" They all came over, watching as the doors opened, the passage they could see empty.

"I told you, Chuck," Newt started, "they're not coming back."

"Plune, it's time," Gally said, putting a knife in her hand as most of the Gladers turned and started walking away. She took in a breath, steadying her hand as she looked at the knife.

"No way," Zart let out before Chuck started cheering, making everyone turn around and see Thomas and Minho coming through, Alby's arms around their shoulders.

"Clint! Jeff!" Plune yelled, giving the knife back to Gally and rushing forwards to help as Clint and Jeff took Alby.

"What happened out there? How'd you guys make it out?" Frypan asked.

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asked as he saw the sting mark on Alby's body.

"Yeah, I saw one," Thomas panted.

"He didn't just see it. He killed it," Minho added, making them all stare.

***

There was a lot of talk as they all gathered in the main room of the Homestead, Keepers in their designated positions while the others sat and watched after Thomas told his side of the story.

"Things are changing," Gally said as the chatter started to quiet. "There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight and then Alby. And now our greenie, here, has taken it upon himself to go into the maze which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah," Frypan spoke up, but he saved Alby's life."

"Did he?" Gally raised his eyebrows. "For three years, we have coexisted with these things. And now," he pointed at Thomas, "you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us?"'

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asked.

"He has to be punished." The entire room erupted.

"Quiet!" Plune ordered and they all went silent. "Minho, you're the only other one who was there. What do you think?"

He sighed. "I think... in all the time we've been here, no one's ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby. Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid... Whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a runner."

"A runner?" Frypan let out as the others all started talking again. "Minho, let's not jump the gun here, alright?"

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck started chanting.

"Enough!" Plune tried. "Everyone, quiet!"

"If you want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine. Go ahead," Gally told them. "But if there is one thing I know about the maze, it is that you do not..." He stopped as they heard a loud alarm go off. Gally, Newt, and Plune all shared a look before rushing out of the Homestead and towards the box, the others following. Gally reached it first with Newt and Plune right behind him. Gally and Plune opened the doors and Newt jumped down.

"Newt, what do you see?" Frypan asked.

Newt looked back up at them. "It's a girl." He looked over at Plune who only stared back at him. "I think she's dead."

"What's in her hand?" Gally asked.

Newt leant down and pulled the piece of paper out of her balled fist. "'She's the last one ever,'" he read. "What the hell does that mean?" No one could answer before the girl gasped, causing Newt to jump back.

"Thomas," the girl let out before her eyes closed and she fell back asleep. Everyone looked at Thomas who seemed to try to shrink away.

"You still think I'm overreacting?" Gally asked and Plune cocked her head at him, making him shrug without apology.

"Alright, listen, Keepers, I'll call a meeting soon. Everyone else, get back to work. Gally, Minho, help Newt get her to the med-jacks." They nodded, hopping down into the box to help Newt as the others went back to work.

***

"Plune?"

She looked up to see Eric and the other runners standing in front of where she sat at one of the meal tables. "Hey, Eric. What's up?"

"Look, we don't want to go against the rules or anything, but... Me and the guys just think that with all the griever attacks-"

"We don't want to go back out there," Henry cut him off.

Plune signed before nodding. "I get it."

"Is there any way you could change our jobs? At least until we know what's up with the Grievers?" Eric asked.

"Yeah, yeah," she nodded. "Look, I don't know where to put you right now, but the builders have quite a bit of work to do in the next couple days. How about you all go there for now and I'll spread you out later."

"Thanks, Plune," Eric smiled.

She forced a smile back. "Tell Gally I sent you, alright?" They nodded and walked off, missing the way she put her head in her hands as the Glade slowly fell apart.

Sorry for the short chapter. I know it isn't the most exciting, but it's kinda necessary lol. Hope you still enjoyed!