Chapter 5 - Rules

Plune walked over to the garden, watching Thomas as he walked into the woods with a bucket and shovel.

"You put him on fertilizer duty, huh?" she asked, looking between Zart and Newt. "That bad of a track-hoe?"

"He won't stop talking long enough to try it," Zart chuckled as he passed by her to go tend to some of the other plants.

"More questions?" Plune asked as she started to work next to Newt, retying the vines that had fallen.

"Ideas on how to get out. Convinced that we haven't tried something."

She hummed. "I'm sure it'll calm down after a few days. He's just not taking it in as fast as most of the others."

"And if he doesn't?"

"It always does."

"What about Nick?" She looked at him, but he didn't say anything else.

"He didn't have time to." He went to say something, but she continued talking first. "Jeff said you stopped by this morning."

"I wondered how long it would take for you to break down and finally go see him." She rolled her eyes before their conversation was cut off by a scream. They turned, seeing Thomas running out of the woods.

"Hey! Help! Help!" he screamed, waving his arms as Ben ran after him. They took off running towards him with most of the Glade doing the same as Ben knocked Thomas down and got on top of him, choking him.

"I'll kill you!" Ben screamed as Thomas desperately tried to push him off.

"Hey!" Newt yelled, making Ben look up before being knocked to the ground as Newt's machete hit him in the face.

"Hold him down!" Plune yelled as she, Gally, Newt, and Frypan all pinned Ben to the ground.

"Calm down," Frypan tried.

"What are you doing?"

"Ben?" Plune asked after Newt as Ben rolled his head around, the side of it bleeding from where the butt of the machete had hit him.

"Calm down, Ben," Gally said as they pushed down harder as he continued to thrash.

"What the hell happened?" Frypan asked, glancing at Thomas as Chuck helped him up.

"He just attacked me!"

"You okay?" Chuck asked and he nodded.

"There you go," Plune soothed as Ben stopped moving. "There you go." She glanced up to see Alby push through the crowd of Gladers.

Ben opened his eyes and looked up at him. "No," he let out. "No. No."

"Alright, lift his shirt," Alby ordered.

"Please. I didn't mean it!"

"Lift his shirt!"

"No! No! No, no, please. Please," Ben cried as Gally pulled up Ben's shirt to reveal the puncture and the black veins around it.

"He's been stung," Gally let out, looking at Newt and then Plune. "In the middle of the day?" Plune looked over at Alby.

"Help me, please. Please," Ben cried. "Please, just help."

Alby continued to look at Plune before standing. "Put him in the pit."

"No!"

"Come on. Everybody help. Take him to the pit."

"No! No!"

"Med-jack!" Newt called Clint and Jeff over as Ben started to thrash more, continuing to scream as they took him to the pit while Plune stayed behind, looking between him and Alby.