𝑥𝑖𝑣 - asphodel

Ash had gotten distracted by a rack of immaculate retro Air Jordans when Piper snapped them back to attention. Putting her arms around Ash and Jason's shoulders, she steered them over to where Leo held up an orange camp T-shirt with a javelin hole in the middle. Her sixth sense flared; oh gods, that shirt... 1980's, daughter of Nemesis... she felt like she was going to be sick.

"Your Highness," Piper said through gritted teeth. Ash allowed the nausea in her gut and the charm-rich tone of her friend's voice to ground her against whatever wool this old witch was trying to pull over her eyes. "Why don't you tell the group how you betrayed your family? I'm sure they'd like to hear that story."

The boys turned, looking excited. "More story?" Leo asked. "I like more story!" Jason agreed, and Ash had to hold back a snort. They sounded like Neanderthals.

Medea flashed the brunette girl an irritated look. "Oh, one will do strange things for love, Piper. You should know that. I fell for that young hero, in fact, because your mother Aphrodite had me under a spell, just as she does this young hero." She lifted Jason's chin slowly with a finger, making both girls start forward until she stopped them with a poisonous smile. "If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have– well, it's no use to hold a grudge against a goddess, is it?"

The double meaning was clear: But I can take it out on her daughter.

Nevertheless, Piper continued bravely on, recanting more of Medea's horrible story until Jason actually stirred for a moment. "What?" He mumbled, clouded blue eyes becoming clear skies once more. "You–"

The princess held a finger to his lips along with a sliced-up toga to his chest, as if measuring him for a Caesar-style assassination. "Don't you know the story, my boy? You of all people should. You were named for him."

"Jason," Piper said. "The original Jason. But then you're–you should be dead!"

Ash groaned loudly. "I tried to tell you, Pipes!" Did she not realize the wiggling fingers and ghostly "oooOOOooos" were code?

Medea smiled at them. "As I said, a new life in a new country. Certainly I made mistakes. I turned my back on my own people. I was called a traitor, a thief, a liar, a murderess. But I acted out of love." She neatly dodged a swipe from Ash with her dagger, aiming to send her straight back to the Underworld, and turned to her and the boys with a pitiful look, batting her eyelashes. Ash could feel the magic washing over her, yet didn't have the same natural defenses as Piper, and her hand began to lower as the sorceress re-upped her spell tenfold.

"Wouldn't you do the same for someone you loved, my dears?"

"Oh, sure," Jason said.

"Okay," Leo said.

"Already have," Ash muttered, and Piper ground her teeth in frustration. "Guys! Don't you see who she is? Don't you–"

"Let's continue, shall we?" the princess said breezily. "I believe you wanted to talk about a price for the storm spirits–and your satyr."

₪₪₪

"Hey," Leo exclaimed, "Coach Hedge looks okay!"

They ran to the nearest canary cage at the end of the escalator. Piper followed more slowly behind them, taking in for the first time two large bronze sundials inlaid on the marble tile floor to the north and south of the fountain. The gilded cages stood to the east and west, with the farthest one holding the storm spirits. When she came to examine Coach Hedge over Ash's raven head, she was relieved to see him looking normal. Well, as normal as he could with stubby horns and furry goat legs and... Yeah. Nevermind.