𝑣𝑖 - piper

Two campers rushed forward and caught her before she could hit the ground. A third grabbed a bronze three-legged stool and shoved it underneath her butt, like they'd been explicitly trained for this duty. Green mist began swirling around Rachel's feet, and when she opened her eyes, they were glowing. Emerald smoke issued from her mouth. The voice that came out was raspy and ancient--the sound a snake would make if it could talk:

Child of lightning, beware the earth
The giants' revenge, the eight shall birth
The Underworld's pride will be their guide
To bring them home when things go wide
The forge and the dove shall break the cage
And Death unleash through Hera's rage."

On the last word, Rachel collapsed forward, but her helpers were there to catch her. They carried her away from the hearth and laid her in the corner to rest.

"Is that normal?" Piper asked, confused. Then she realized she'd broken a deep silence and everyone was looking at her. "I mean... does she spew green smoke a lot?"

"Gods, you're dense!" Drew sneered. "She just issued a prophecy-- Jason's prophecy to save Hera!"

"Drew," Ash snapped, although she was shaking. "Piper asked a fair question."

"Something about that prophecy definitely isn't normal," Annabeth mused. "If breaking Hera's cage unleashes her rage and causes a bunch of death... why would we free her? It might be a trap, or--or maybe Hera will turn on her rescuers. She's never been kind to heroes."

Jason rose. "I don't have much choice. Hera took my memory. I need it back. Besides, we can't just not help the queen of the heavens if she's in trouble."

A girl from Hephaestus cabin rose-- Nyssa, the one with the red bandana. "Maybe. But you should listen to Annabeth. Hera can be vengeful. She threw her own son--our dad-- down a mountain just because he was ugly."

"Real ugly," snicked someone from Aphrodite.

"Shut up!" growled Nyssa. "Anyway, we've also got to think--why beware the earth? And what's the giants' revenge? What are we dealing with here that's powerful enough to kidnap the queen of the heavens?"

No one answered, but Piper noticed Annabeth, Ash, and Chiron having a silent exchange. She thought it went something like:

Annabeth: The giants' revenge... no, it can't be.

Chiron: Don't speak of it here. Don't scare them.

Ash: You're joking! We can't be that unlucky!

Chiron: Later, children. If you told them everything, they would be too terrified to proceed.

Ash: I'm gonna cry.

Piper knew it was crazy to think she could read their expressions so well, having known the three for about twelve hours. But she was absolutely positive she had understood, and it scared the jujubes out of her.

Annabeth took a deep breath. "It's Jason's quest," she announced, "so it's Jason's choice. Obviously, he's the child of lightning. According to tradition, he may choose two additional companions, but this prophecy calls for three. One is obvious. Ash?" She turned to the girl.

"Well, duh," someone from the Hermes cabin yelled.

"No, no, no," Ash said, backing up with her hands raised. She chuckled nervously. "I think I've had enough fun for a lifetime. Let someone else have a chance."

"Ash," Annabeth gave her a withering look. "The Underworld's pride, you know that's you. Hades all but said it this summer."

Piper was startled. The title was so ominous, pride of the Underworld. How could it refer to the girl who'd comforted her about Jason, who carried her to the Big House, who so far had proved herself most talented at consistently cracking awful jokes?