𝑥𝑥 - piper

Gods, Piper was starting to feel a little bad for this Percy kid, because even the Huntress Phoebe seemed to be flirting with Ash, brushing their hands together as she passed out hot cocoa, giggling at all her jokes and fawning over her stories; at one point, Ash apologized for some prank her friends had pulled years ago, and the other girl accepted it before she'd even finished her sentence. The daughter of Aphrodite was getting increasingly amused until Jason, Leo, and Thalia walked into the tent. The looks on their faces as they took in the swooning Huntress were the last straw.

Turning her head to the side and muffling her laughter into her palm, Piper waved away Jason's raised eyebrow and offered the boys some hot chocolate. They along with Jason's long-lost sister had stayed in the cave to have it out, Leo remaining for emotional support. Piper tried not to think about the fact that he'd originally turned to Ash before Thalia, seeming to read the situation immediately, insisted that she go with the others and get warm. Now the daughter of Zeus was glaring at her old friend like it was her fault she was born beautiful as Ash enthusiastically poured her blushing little brother another cup of cocoa. Somehow, Piper couldn't even be mad. At this point it was too funny.

"Oh, no way," Leo was saying. "We've been sitting in a dinky old cave while you get the luxury tent? Somebody give me hypothermia. I want a swanky parka!"

Phoebe sniffed. "Boys," she said, like it was the worst insult she could think of.

"It's all right, Phoebe," Thalia said. "I think we can spare some extra coats."

Phoebe grumbled, but soon Leo and Jason were decked out in silvery winter clothes that were equally lightweight, warm, and stylish. Oh, and the hot chocolate was top-tier, by the way.

"Cheers!" said Coach Hedge, crunching down on his plastic thermos cup.

"That cannot be good for your intestines," Leo said.

"Actually, goats have a four-part..." Ash started. She was regaling an intrigued Leo with satyr stomach anatomy when Thalia patted Piper on the back. "You up for moving?"

She nodded gratefully. "Thanks to Phoebe, yeah. You guys are really good at this wilderness survival thing. I feel like I could run ten miles."

Thalia winked at Jason, who turned a gratifying shade of pink. "She's tough for a child of Aphrodite. I like this one."

"Damn straight," Ash said, finally shutting up about goat guts.

"Hey, I could run ten miles too," Leo volunteered. "Tough Hephaestus kid here. Let's hit it."

Naturally, Thalia ignored him, and naturally, Ash laughed.

It took Phoebe exactly six seconds to break camp, which Piper wouldn't have believed possible if it didn't happen right in front of her very eyes. Thalia and Ash led their pack up a narrow path hugging the side of the mountain, setting a swift pace with enough ease to catch up as they ran. Piper was once again thankful for Phoebe's presence as chatting with the Hunter distracted her from the high altitude and deadly dropoff below. Leo and Jason brought up the rear, talking quietly amongst themselves, and Piper looked back several times to check in, the expression on the handsome blonde's face worrying her every single time.

Within the half hour, they'd summited Pike's Peak, Piper gradually slowing to a complete stop beside Thalia and Ash as they looked out over the midnight scape, the sky above glittering with stars, the world below blanketed in clouds gleaming softly silver under the light of the full moon, only broken by the jagged peaks of other mountains rising up like islands. Leo, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. He slammed into Thalia's back and nearly sent them both down the mountain the hard way. Thankfully, the Huntress was light on her feet and had a fast friend; she braced herself naturally as Ash grabbed Leo's collar and prevented him from falling.