Part 7: The Thrill

Over the next couple of weeks, my team and I had been working hard to get every bit of information we could find on Blair Miller. Only just a few days before Christmas.

NYPD 19TH PRECINCT - Thursday, December 22nd 20XX. 9:21 am 

I sat at my desk typing away at the computer, trying to find any last bit of information. Over the past couple of weeks, we found the report of Blair's mother. Stated that she was beaten to death and had bits of glass in her from broken beer bottles. Although, it was never stated that her father did any of it since her body was found in a dumpster of a local bar. 

Then much later after her mother's death, we found multiple reports of the crossbow killer and when he was taken into custody. Found out that Blair had been in and out of foster homes, always finding a way to escape them. After that, she went blank and completely disappeared... until now.

"Hey, Grif! Here are some more reports." Jeffery exclaimed as he placed them on my desk and sat next to me. "Thanks," I said averting his eyes and focusing on the files. He looked at me and sighed. "Talk to me, you've barely made contact with me and you're constantly hanging your head low." He replied with uncertainty, "Can we just focus on catching her?" I said annoyed. 

"I'm sorry, that she wasn't who you thought she was. Especially since I had never seen you light up like that, even when you were with Lilian." He added and I stood up abruptly. "I need some air." I quickly took my jacket and went outside to smoke a cigarette. I never normally smoked unless I was under stress or needed to get away from reality. 

I felt the crisp, cold air along my face and watched the snowfall. Lights were hung on all the trees and slush was splattered from the cars. Only a few days before Christmas, I remembered all my memories of the holiday's being spent with Lilian, now they're just a constant reminder that I'm alone.

Suddenly, Jeffery comes up next to me. "I know this is a lot, but it's good that we know it's her." He replied as he placed his hand on my shoulder. I sighed, "I thought she was different but she ended up being a complete waste of my fucking time." I shrugged away from his touch, "I don't ever want to see her again." I said angrily as I started walking to my car. Yet, the second I got into the car I put my hands on my face. It was all a fucking lie because I did want to see her again. But I was so angry at her for using me, so angry that I had fallen for her.

I decided to go home early that night.    

GRIFFIN'S APARTMENT - Thursday, December 22nd 20XX. 6:36 pm

I had gotten home and threw my keys onto the table, Jax came up to me excitedly. I kneeled to give him scratches and he started to lick my face. "Hey, bud," I exclaimed, there was never a day that he didn't make me feel better. I sat on the couch and Jax sat next to me, I scratched behind his ear since it was his favourite spot. 

We sat there while the tv was on while I sipped my beer, then my phone rang. It was an unknown number, maybe it was Blair? I quickly answered, yet to my surprise it wasn't. My heart caught in my throat, "Well hello Eli," A sickening voice said. "Harrison..?" I said hesitantly. "How-" I tried to reply but he cut me off. "Well, my daughter came to visit. You know the one you were so determined to fuck." He replied angrily and I gulped. "Anyways, she helped me get out." I could feel him smile through the phone. "Hey, Detective Brooks." I heard her voice and I could never forget it. 

"I really enjoyed our run-in last time..." She said flirtatiously, and I shifted uncomfortably knowing that her father was right next to her. "Enough of that! I called you to negotiate a deal with you." He said seriously as I listened. "What deal is it?" I said with slight resentment, "You let us go, we escape to a different country, and we let you live." He laughed hysterically.