Happy Ending?

GOLDEN TOWN - Sunday, June 17th 20XX. 9:00 am

Around 5 years later. 

I kneeled to plant some new flowers around our home, it was a beautiful day in Golden, British Columbia. The bright blue sky, warm sun, and fluffy white clouds cascaded. We had the home of our dreams, a nice small country house with a wrap-around porch. 

There was a lovely willow tree out front where Acacius would sit with Jax. He's gotten so big and so full of life, he's completely grounded me and made me a better person, mother, and friend of the community. I looked over to see Acacius cuddling with Jax, I took off my gloves and walked over to him. His blondish brown hair shone under the sun, his warm golden-brown eyes, that one dimple on the left of his face, and the million little freckles that speckled from one cheek to the other. 

 He was perfect. 

"Hey, buddy! What are you doing?" I asked as I sat next to him, he looked at me and then looked up at the willow tree. "Mommy! Look at the new birds!" He pointed at a nest with a family of blue jays. I smiled as his face lit up with wonder. Jax came up to me to lick my face and it tickled. How did my life get so perfect? 

GOLDEN TOWN - Sunday, June 17th 20XX. 9:37 am

I was finally free, finally at peace, finally able to be happy. All three of us lay under the tree taking in the summer breeze of this small and homey town. Everyone was friendly and helpful, especially this gentleman that I grew a close friendship with. The community always held special events every season, had movie nights, and annual fairs, and was constantly full of life. 

There was a school for all grades, restaurants, a library, a community center with an indoor pool, and so much more. Not to mention, the scenery was breathtaking, the mountains, and fresh lake with its greenery. 

Yet, there was still something missing... Acacius needed his dad and I needed the man I love. I knew his sentence was done, but where was he? 

Suddenly, I heard footsteps getting closer to my property. I opened my eyes and looked to see-

He was here. He found us. He made it back to us. 

Welcome home, Eli. We've missed you.

We're ready to start the next chapter of our lives with you.