Part 11: Losing it All

OLD BROOKLYN WAREHOUSE - Sunday, December 25th 20XX. 7:10 am 

I had slowly opened my eyes to the early sounds of the morning. My head was fucking pounding, I was tired and starving. Not to mention, that lingering feeling of dread and anger. 

I kept my head low unwillingly having the strength to lift it until I heard the doors open. Only to realize it was Jeffery and a few other officers. They had their guns pointed as they carefully came in. Jeffery ran to me when he saw that the coast was clear, oddly enough Harrison's men were nowhere to be found. Yet, who cared? This was my chance to get out.

"Oh my god! Griffin!" He exclaimed as he started to untie me. "I'm so sorry, we didn't come sooner. I knew something was up when you immediately hung up and then you weren't answering." He added, "Officer Mitchell and a bunch of others were in on it." I said roughly as I couldn't meet his eyes. A level of despair washed over me, while Jeffery kneeled in front of me, he place his hand on my leg. "Everything is going to be ok." He replied although I could tell he was disappointed to hear the news of those who betrayed us.

"I fucking hate this, I hate that I have no control, I hate Harrison, I hate-" Jeffery suddenly helped me up off the chair. "Calm down Grif, we're gonna catch them again." He said with a smile but I pushed him away. "I'll do it myself!" I said angrily and Jeffery looked at me confused. "Grif-" I cut him off. "Stay the fuck out of it!" I met his eyes only for the first time he looked frightened by me and the level of rage I was feeling.

"This is my case! As much as it's fucking awful to deal with I'm still doing my job. Go back to your desk and mind your god damn business!" I yelled as I walked closer to his face. Jeffery held his tongue but I could see the level of anger building up in him. "What the fuck Griffin, I came all this way to save your ass and this is the repayment I get?" He exclaimed, "I didn't need your fucking help." I yelled and started to walk away.

"What the hell is going on with you?" He asked annoyed and I turned back around. "This isn't my partner. The Griffin I know wouldn't allow emotions to get the best of him, wouldn't be falling for the enemy, wouldn't be so aggressive, and definitely wouldn't be fucking letting this shit happen to himself." He exclaimed angrily, "Then you never fucking knew me." I walked out of there and took one of the police cruisers. 

This was who I really was, I kept telling myself. This irrational, angry, and violent man. A man who was willing to do anything and I mean anything to take down those who wronged him, a man who was willing to go against all odds. Willing to lose it all, at any cost.

GRIFFIN'S APARTMENT - Sunday, December 25th 20XX. 8:00 am

I drove back to my apartment and instantly grabbed a beer as I tended to the wounds on my face, and rebandaged my hands. Jax came up to me worried as he started to whine slightly, I scratched his head softly. "I'm fine bud," I replied softly, and he lay next to me. 

Yet, all I did that morning was drink beer after beer to wash my anger, pain, and numbness away. I needed a moment for myself, everything that was happening was fucking with me. I couldn't stop thinking about what Harrison had said when we first met. "Just know that this case will corrupt you in more ways than one." or that my faith couldn't save me.

All those words were repeating in my head until I suddenly got a phone call. "Helloooo?" I said with a slur in my voice. "Griffin? Is that you?" I instantly sat up at the sound of her voice. "Blair? How-" I laughed. "This is just fucking great!" I replied angrily yet my drunkness wasn't hard to miss. 

GRIFFIN'S APARTMENT - Sunday, December 25th 20XX. 8:35 am

"Are you drunk?" She asked concerned, "Yeah. Is that a problem?" I exclaimed and she went silent.  "Look, Griffin..." She said hesitantly, I winced at the pain on my face. "I didn't mean for what happened last night." She explained, "Why do you keep saying that?" I replied annoyed.