chapter 18

Watching cookery shows had been the one true pleasure for her when she'd been allowed. Opening the book, she went in search of the ingredients. Baking was one thing she'd never done in her life. The writing had taken control of her. She found some flour, chocolate, eggs, sugar, and other confectionery items in the cupboards and fridge. The tins were in a bottom drawer. Much searching and she had every piece of equipment laid down for her to work with. Preheating the oven, she began creaming the butter and sugar together. The therapeutic action helped her to relax. Her mind was no longer full of Demon, her mum, or the danger she was in from falling for Demon.

While she stirred, folded, and prepared cupcakes, she was a woman who baked. Closing her eyes, Violet let the calm take over.

****

Demon sat watching the husband pound into his wife. Her hands were strapped down. She couldn't move. The only thing the woman could do was accept her pleasure.

"I had a setback today," Stephen said as he sat down.

"What did you do?" Demon asked as he drank down his coffee. He wouldn't risk drinking alcohol when the rain was pouring down outside.

"Told a woman she couldn't work here. She had lovely red hair and the bluest eyes I've ever seen."

"And you got rid of her."

The woman tied up began screaming as her release rolled over her. In his eye, Demon saw Violet withering in pleasure. Would she let him tie her up?

Her hands would look so beautiful trapped above her head as he kissed her body. Clearing his throat, he turned away from the scene. Picturing his woman in any pose was threatening his mind. Being around her, touching her, was driving him to distraction. No time was ever enough with her. He hated sleeping because it took time away from the woman he loved.

"I've known Violet for a year, and my heart feels like it will burst every time I stare at her," he said to Stephen. "The other night you had doubts about the possessive feeling a man can get with his woman."

"What about it?"

"I feel it. Every time another man looks at her, I want to cut his eyes out. She walks past me, and I want to hold her in my arms and never let go. Violet Moore is twenty-one years old. She's got her whole life ahead of her, and all I want is to give her the world. She smiles at me, not often but enough, and I feel alive."

Stephen stared at him, silent.

"Possession is there, inside you. You've just got to wait for the right woman before it threatens to break loose."

"Where are you going?" Stephen asked as Demon stood up.

"I've got a woman at home. Watching them together is fun, but I'd rather be with her."

He shook his friend's hand before leaving the club. Driving home, Demon thought about Violet. Watching her work in front of his desk had become the highlight of his life. He knew people at work were talking, and it would only be a matter of time until he had to pull her away.

For all of her timid responses so far, he knew she would put up a fight. Sometimes he saw the fire, which she squashed. He wanted her to fight him, not agree to everything.

Pulling up outside his house, he noted no lights were visible from the front. The moment he entered, he smelled the baking.

Anne wouldn't be home. The scent of cupcakes sent him right back to his childhood. His mother had loved to bake. Going to the kitchen, he found Violet bent over the oven, pulling out a tray of dark mounded cakes.

She hadn't seen him. Her tongue touched her top lip as she concentrated on placing the hot buns on the cool rack. Flour covered a cheek. Her hair escaped the odd ponytail. Her hands were covered with cake mix. The kitchen looked like a bomb had blown up inside the room. With his hands folded,Demon observed her. She looked happy.

"I take it you've been busy," he said as he took a seat at the counter opposite her.

"Demon? Hi." She pulled away from the cupcakes as if she was doing something wrong.

"Don't worry. They smell like the ones my mom used to make," he said, picking one up and tearing the case off underneath.

"I found a recipe for them in here." She picked up the book. He took a bite. The rich chocolate melted in his mouth. Glancing at the book, he knew it was his mother's recipe. "That's my mother's recipe book. She loved going into the kitchen to bake. There should be some of her all-time favorite recipes." He took the book from her and flicked through. "This one, macaroni cheese, took her months to get right. I remember when she brought out the pot. It smelled good. My dad gave me a hopeful look. We'd tried so many bad versions of that dish. She got it right. The pasta tasted great, and the cheese was the right amount." He thought about the way his mother looked when his dad tasted the food. She always looked so happy when she got it right.

"Tell me more," Violet asked, moving to sit beside him.

Flicking through the pages, he told her about some of the recipes.

"The cupcakes were a treat for me on my birthday. She forgot to order a cake and decided to make it herself, but she didn't follow the instructions properly. The cake pretty much exploded in the oven. When it looked like I wasn't getting a cake, I watched her work, and these came out. The best cupcakes I've ever tasted." Demon took a bite recalling his birthday so long ago.

"Your mother sounded nice."

"She was amazing. My dad loved her."

"What happened to them?"

"A car accident."

She nodded her head. "I know it's not much, but I've experienced loss, too. I mean, my mum died."

Demon stared at her. "How did she die?"

Silent for a moment, she shook her head. "I'm not ready to tell you that."

He nodded his head. She'd told him something, and that was a move in the right direction. "This dish, leek and potato soup. She burnt it and tried to cover it up by putting golden croutons on top. It tasted awful that first time. She never burnt it again."

For the next hour, Demon went through the recipe book explaining dishes to Violet. Some made him laugh when he remembered the struggle his mother had to concoct some of the food.

"Your mother sounds amazing."

"She was. I think you should have this." He passed the book back to her.

"But this is your mother's work. I couldn't take this."

"No. I think she would want someone who liked to cook to use it. From the taste of the cupcakes, you're a natural. You may come in and use the kitchen at any time. I'll talk to Anne about giving you some lessons if you'd like."

"That would be wonderful."

Demon smiled, running his finger down her cheek. He glanced around the room. "I don't think Anne would let you near her kitchen if you make this much mess. Come on. I'll help you clean it up before we go upstairs."

While Violet loaded up boxes with the iced cupcakes, Demon rinsed the dishes and equipment she'd used. When everything was put away, he took her by the hand and moved upstairs. "You're filthy from baking," he said, placing a kiss against the pulse at her throat.

"It's Saturday tomorrow. What are we going to do?" she asked.

"I usually go to the office, but I think we'll stay in. Have a break. Would you like to spend the weekend with me?"

She pulled back staring into his eyes. "You're asking me?"