Chapter 12: Tryouts

It's the dumbest school policy Peter's ever heard. Every student must join one sports team for at least a season. Idiotic. Peter much prefers a science school rather than a sports school. So now he's here, at the school track wearing a Midtown Hawks jersey after school instead of finishing up the final touches on his web shooters.

It's the oddest thing though. Since his first day, he's sat with Robbie, Jean, Taryn, and Andrew at lunch. He's gone to study group, robotics club, and now track tryouts, and someone always waves him over, invites him to sit. People want to talk to him. And not just to tease him about his clothes, or status as an orphan, or call him 'Penis Parker'. Out of everything happening with this universe switch, Peter making friends is the wildest part. In his eighteen years, he's only ever had Ned, and then MJ. Now, it's like people like him.

Some things never change though. Duncan and his football buddies still have it out for Peter since him and Scott stood up for Brian. But even that, no obvious threats or tripping in the hallway. From the way Duncan always hangs around Jean, Peter guesses Duncan doesn't want to make his hatred of Peter too obvious, or risk Jean's anger.

Robbie walks up to Peter, his camera in his hands. They both watch Jean laugh at something Duncan says. "If you trip him, I'll make sure to get it on film."

Peter laughs. "I wish I was that athletic."

Robbie shoots him a look of disbelief.

"No, seriously," Peter defends, "I would much rather be in a computer lab." That much is true. "What does she see in him, anyway?"

Robbie sighs, "He's popular, rich, good looking, all the things women usually hate you know?" That part he says sarcastically.

Peter shakes his head, chuckling, but he steals another glance in Jean's direction. "I just didn't peg her as someone to fall for that kind of thing."

Peter hears the click of a camera. Robbie takes another picture of Peter, grinning, "and who did you think she'd fall for?"

Peter raised one finger, "no. Don't even start."

Robbie raises his hands in surrender, "whatever you say."

A few yards away Scott is warming up. Robbie waves but Scott doesn't see. He's too busy glaring at Duncan. "It wouldn't surprise me if Jean talks to Duncan to make Scott mad," Robbie guesses.

"Really?"

Robbie nods. "Jean and Scott are always arguing. I had genetics with both of them last year. It was brutal, man. No one gets under Jean's skin like Scott Summers."

Now that Robbie mentions it, Peter has noticed. In training sessions, Jean always has a problem with Scott's leadership, or Scott would make a dumb move or almost sabotage Jean. They never sit by each other at meals or hang out. They never carpool or offer to help the other. "Why does Duncan bother Scott?" Peter asks.

Robbie shrugs. "Those two have been at each other's throats since freshman year. Scott doesn't play football because of his eye condition, but during track season, it's a two man race between them. If there's a fight, most likely it's between Scott and Duncan."

Sure enough, when Mr. McCoy–coach McCoy–blows the whistle for the girls to line up for hurdles and Jean leaves, Scott and Duncan glare at each other.

Jean is good. Really good. Even Kitty's pretty good. Danger room cardio must do wonders. By the time it's over, Jean and Kitty are shoe-ins for the team.

Coach McCoy yells for the boys to line up for the 400m dash. Robbie gives Peter an encouraging thumbs up and Peter jogs over to the starting line. With his Parker luck, he's sandwiched between Scott and Duncan. The bang goes off and both boys take off running, already almost at a sprint.

Peter slows down, dropping behind them. He does not need to be in the middle of their competition. Peter checks around him, to make sure he's keeping pace but not drawing attention. Up ahead of him, Scott is pulling in front of Duncan. He's going to win.

Duncan jerks to the side, checking Scott. Scott stumbles and drops back, accidentally causing the guy behind him to trip. Scott gets his feet back under him and makes a sprint for the finish line, him and Duncan neck and neck. Peter lunges and catches the arm of the kid Scott tripped. Peter stops him from hitting the ground and matches his pace. When he's good, Peter lets go. The boy gives Peter an appreciative nod.

Unfortunately, coach didn't see Duncan cheat, he just saw Scott stumble, so Duncan still wins. They all make the team though, and no one got hurt, so that's what counts. Peter jogs to the water cooler while people catch their breath.

"Nice race," Jean's sitting on the bench, sipping her water bottle.

"You too." Peter looks behind him at Duncan. "Your boyfriend almost got someone hurt though."

Jean crinkles her nose. "He's not my boyfriend." She stands up, "but I guess I should be commending you for not using your powers to break the school record."

"I-um, I don't know what you're talking about. I've got superstrength, not speed."

"Mm-hm." Jean looks him up and down as she walks by him, stopping so close only he can hear, "next time try to at least break a sweat when you're supposedly sprinting."

Peter ducks his head and rubs the back of his neck. He can't blame Jean for the observation, he really isn't sweating. "Look, I-"

Jean walks backwards, to the starting line for the women's 400m. "You're hiding something, Peter. And I'm going to figure it out."

Peter stares after her. "Good luck with that."

Jean grins then jogs over to finish her tryout.