Chapter 18: House Party

Jean still isn't speaking to him when he meets her at her car on Friday night.

He's nervous. It's silly, but it's true.

He distracts himself with plans of how he's going to fix the police radio he found in the dumpster behind the police station. Things have to work differently in this universe, he can't show up to crime scenes or leave notes for the police, but he has to be aware of what's going on in the city. He's especially looking out for any calls that resemble the guy from the other night, the one that made it feel like Peter's brain went through a blender.

Now that's he's had time to think about it, he's sure this guy is responsible for Wanda's attack in New York. If he can control minds, just like how he controlled Peter's, it puts Peter's fight against Wanda in a much better perspective. How she seemed torn, like she wasn't trying to hurt him, like she was fighting against something. Or someone.

But why would that man be controlling Wanda? And how could he control her mind from a different universe? What is the endgame? Peter remembers what he said, how the man seemed almost glad Peter is in this universe. 'You should watch', is what he told Peter. 'You'll be able to see the beauty in what I'm going to do to this universe'. Maybe this guy can travel between universes? Maybe he's a wizard, like Dr. Strange.

Peter tries to fight the sick feeling he's getting the longer he replays the man's words. All signs point to something in Peter's past, something Peter has already seen, and this guy is going to do it again, to this universe. His immediate thought is bringing the Green Goblin, but why? What purpose does that serve? None of this makes any sense.

"Yo, Earth to Peter," Robbie waves his hand in front of Peter's face. "We're here."

Duncan Matthew's house is enormous, as expected. It's deep in the suburbs, two floors high, sleek and modern. A perfect party house. And when they arrive, the party is in full swing. Two guys are wrestling in the front yard. The house is full of people, most Peter recognizes but doesn't know their names.

As soon as they walk in, Duncan appears, slinging an arm around Jean's waist. "Glad you made it, babe."

Jean dodges Duncan as he leans down to kiss her. She's smooth with it, covering the slight by pretending she didn't see it and hugging a girl that passes by. The girls squeal and compliment each other's outfits.

If Peter didn't know any better, he would say that Jean doesn't actually like Duncan. Taryn and Andrew arrive separately and join their group.

"Let's get you girls a drink," Duncan leads all three girls to the kitchen.

Robbie stares after them, laughing quietly to himself. "Come on boys, let's play beer pong."

**
Peter is pretty good at beer pong. It's not really fair, given his enhanced abilities and rate his body burns alcohol. He can get drunk, at least, he thinks he can, but the effects wear off pretty quickly. But he's happy. He's actually having fun.

"Glad you came?" Taryn asks him. She tosses her ping pong ball.

"I am, actually. Can I tell you a secret?"

"Oh, please do."

"I've actually never been to a high school party before."

Taryn throws her ball wildly off course. She curses but steps back to let the other side of the table play. She faces Peter, eyes glassy, "you're lying."

"Am not! I wasn't very popular at my old school." Peter feels his cheeks heat at the confession. Sometimes he forgets that most people in high school have friends. At least Taryn has always been popular.