Chapter 15: The Wolverine

"Aw man!"

A small pop! sounds from the hallway. It's followed by laughter and the the sound of running feet. Bobby pops his head into the kitchen, where Peter is making a sandwich. "Jubilee just fried a hole in her shirt," he snickers.

Jubilee runs in, her face red, "you surprised me, Bobby!"

Kitty walks in, covering her mouth with her hand. She grabs an apple to hide her laugh. Jubilee examines the hole in the bottom of her shirt. It's about three fingers wide, and probably a result of her fireworks. "This is my favorite shirt," she grumbles, running her hand over the hole. "Do you think people will notice?"

"Jubilee, you cannot wear that shirt to school," Kitty says, "I will not let you commit fashion suicide."

Jubilee drops her head. Peter laughs and puts his knife in the dishwasher. "Let me see," Peter bends down to get a better look. Amazingly, there are no burn marks, no charring, and the hole isn't that big. "If you find me some needle and thread, I can fix it."

All three younger students stare at Peter in disbelief. Then Jubilee jumps into action, sprinting back into the hallway. Bobby snickers again and Kitty just looks doubtful. Peter decides against telling them his mom and Aunt May taught him the basics of sewing, plus he sewed his old Spidey costume and handles any minor tears to the current one back in his New York. It's a useful skill.

Jubilee runs back in, breathless, but carrying a sewing needle, thread, and the injured shirt in her hands. She's changed into a different t-shirt. Peter takes a seat at the bar and threads the needle. He smiles to himself as Jubilee, Kitty, and Bobby watch like hawks as Peter quickly closes the hold in Jubilee's shirt.

He holds it up to see it better in the light. "The hem might be a little uneven, but it'll do." He cuts the thread and hands it back to Jubilee.

"Wow. Thank you, Peter." She looks at him so sincerely, practically hugging the shirt to her chest. She waits a beat but then hugs him. He's startled, but he hugs her back, oddly touched by the gesture.

'Peter, would you join us at Cerebro?'

Peter whips his head around, pressing a hand to his head. He swears the voice just came from his brain. Kitty laughs. "That's Professor Xavier, sometimes he communicates telepathically with us."

"Oh." Peter lets out a nervous chuckle. "Sure. I better go." He slides off the barstool and finds his way to the elevator. Jean explained the way to Cerebro once. Go to the basement then find the elevator on the other side of the danger room, and it's the smaller metal chamber.

When he gets there, he spots the professor, wearing a strange metal helmet, which must be Cerebro. A giant keyboard is the centerpiece of the room, the computer part of Cerebro.  Jean stands at his side, a hand on the professor's shoulder. To Peter's surprise, Mr. McCoy is bent down to see under the computer, examining something. And then a fourth person stands behind Professor Xavier. He's short, only about 5'4, but built like an ox and exuding don't mess with me vibes. They all turn when Peter walks in.

"Ah, Mr. Parker, I'm sure you know Mr. McCoy," Professor Xavier gestures to Peter's chemistry teacher and track coach.

"Hey, Mr. McCoy," Peter greets.

"And this is Logan," Xavier gestures to the short, angry man, "he's another instructor for the Institute and long time friend. Just rode in this morning."

Logan eyes Peter, then extends a hand, "so you're the strong kid," he grunts.

"Y-yes sir."

"We'll see about that."