| 11 | Tears

| Warning | This chapter depicts very gory scenes and violence. Viewer discretion is advised.

You sat on the sofa in the living room, anxiously gnawing on a hangnail. The phone that you had forgotten to return to Yang sat beside you.

You felt so guilty. The police officer gave the phone to you in order to call Dae and because of that, he didn't take it along with him since he was in a hurry.

"How will anyone know if you're in danger?. . ." You murmured worriedly to yourself. Your mother hadn't heard your exact words but noticed that you were talking to yourself with a worried expression.

She came over immediately, settling before your knees. Her gentle fingers lightly placed themselves on top of your own.

"Honey, are you alright?" She queried, eyes full of concern. You shook your head.

"I'm okay." Your mum didn't seem convinced by your response.

"Are you sure about that?. . . Is it the nightmares? Are they bothering you?" As your mum asked you this, you noticed the tears forming in her eyes.

You reached out, the tip of your thumb grazing her wet eyes. "W-Why are you crying, mother?" You whispered in a trembling voice. There was a part of you that already knew what she was upset over but you. . . Didn't want to acknowledge that thought.

Your mother's hand cradled your cheek, which was wet with warm tears. Your eyes widened. When did I start crying too?

"Y-Your father. . . Did he truly hurt you?" Your mother choked out. Your heart fell to the depths of your stomach at the query. You didn't want to remember. You didn't want to tell her the truth. You didn't want her to be ashamed of you.

You said nothing and instead squeezed your eyes shut. Though nothing was hurting you, you felt immense pain. Your eyes stung. Your heart felt like it was on fire. "Oh, my baby. . . I'm sorry I couldn't find you sooner!" Your mother exclaimed in upset as she rose. She embraced you, pressing your head into the crook of her neck.

That comforting scent that clung to her for who knew how long travelled to your nose. You finally felt at home. You finally felt. . . Safe. Being in your mother's arms was something you had craved for many years but you believed that you'd never be in them again.

You were so glad that you were wrong. You let the tears flow as you cuddled your mother. Your nervousness for Seungbae was momentarily forgotten as your mother rocked you in her arms.

This emotional moment between the two was immediately broken by a sharp knock on the front door. You tensed. You didn't want your mother to let you go but unfortunately she dropped her arms.

"I wonder who that might be. Yang maybe?" Just as your mother said that, the knock sounded out again, this one was a little more impatient than the last.

"Okay, okay! Calm down, I'm coming." You could easily tell that that wasn't Seungbae. He always announced his arrival once knocking, stating his full name along with the fact that he was a police officer.

Sangwoo? Your heart began to pound fast when that name crossed your mind. It sounded impossible. . . Unless he managed to get a hold of Seungbae and figure out your whereabouts?!

Though you couldn't be sure whether it was Sangwoo, you weren't taking any chances. You ran forwards before your mother could place a hand on the door's lock to unlock it.

"Mother, don't. . . Whoever is behind that door may not be safe." You whispered to her, gripping her hands with your own trembling ones.

"What do you-" She started to say but an all-too-familiar voice cut her off as a bang sounded out on the door.