"She's sick"

"What's going on with you?" Jo asked her husband. "What?" Alex looked up, still half dazed. "You took the call from Izzie about one of the kids this morning and you've been quiet ever since." Alex nodded, but he still didn't give her an answer. "Alex I need you to talk to me or I'm gonna assume the worst." Jo said simply. "It's Alexis. She's sick." Alex said, his voice trembling as he spoke. "What do you mean sick?" "She's got cancer Jo." Jo's eyes widened. "Oh my god Alex." Jo went to sit next to him. "I'm so sorry, what are you gonna do? I mean Izzie, well, both of you." "I don't know." Alex wiped his eyes, trying to toughen himself up. "I went through this once with Izzie before, and it almost killed me. I loved Izzie then but Alexis.." Jo's eyes softened, putting a hand on his knee. "Jo, I love that little girl with everything in me. I don't know if I can watch her go through that hell. She's just a kid." "What's happening with her treatment?" "That's the problem. Izzie wants her to stay in Kansas, I want her to come here." Jo sighed. Now she understood his silence, his head must be a mess. "Mer, Bailey, Robbins, Shepherd...I know they're great doctors and they'd take great care of her. I'm sure there are good doctors in Kansas but-" "You want her to be treated by people you know and trust." "Exactly. But Izzie wants her to stay home where she knows in Kansas." "She's visited Seattle before with Eli for the summer break." Jo replied. "I'm sure Meredith would let Izzie and the kids stay at her house, especially now that Maggie's moved out." "Mer doesn't know yet. Izzie wants it to stay between us but I just..she's my little girl Jo and I don't know what to do." Alex broke into sobs. Jo rubbed his back. She couldn't imagine what he must have been feeling. "Do you think you could persuade Izzie to come to Seattle? I mean it may not be home but she'd have both of her parents, she'd have good doctors, Zola, Bailey, Ellis. She'd have more than just her Mom and her brother." Alex wiped his eyes. "I think I need to tell Mer and get her advice before I call Izzie back." "I'll drive us there now, c'mon." Jo pulled him up.

Meredith opened the door to see Alex and Jo stood there. "Uh, hi. This is unexpected. What's going on?" Alex looked unusually upset and Jo looked visibly nervous. "What did he do now?" Meredith asked Jo suspiciously. "He didn't do anything." "Can we come inside?" Alex asked. "I have to talk to you." Meredith opened the door wider and stepped aside to let them both in. "Who else is home?" Jo asked, noticing how strangely quiet the house was. "Just the kids, they're sleeping. Amelia's at work. What do you need to talk about?" She asked Alex as him and Jo sat on the sofa in front of her. "Izzie called me today. Alexis is sick." "Sick?" Meredith questioned with a raised eyebrow. "She's got cancer." Jo clarified for him. "Oh, wow." Meredith was taken aback. "How bad?" "We don't know yet exactly." "So what do you need?" Meredith asked, knowing that Alex came to her for her help. "Izzie wants to treat Alexis in Kansas, I want her treated here with doctors I know and trust. You have a spare room since Maggie left, would Izzie and the kids be able to stay here while she got treatment? If they came here Alexis would have both of us, great doctors and her and Eli would have other kids to be around." "It's fine with me, check with Izzie." "She doesn't want anyone else to know, but I couldn't not tell anyone." Alex said, rubbing his forehead. "You needed support too, you had to tell someone." Jo rubbed his arm. "Okay. I'll call her, get it out of her and suggest she comes here." Meredith said, getting her phone out of her pocket and got up to head out to the kitchen to do it privately. "Are you sure about this?" Alex asked worriedly. "It's Izzie we have to convince. But I'll do my best, okay? Try not to worry. We'll sort this all out, for Alexis." Meredith squeezed his shoulder before leaving the room. "It'll be okay." Jo hugged Alex who leant his head on her chest and sighed, trying not to cry again.

A/N:
Should I do a part 2?
Or branch this off to it's own story?
Or neither.