The Surgery

"Why did you open this man's skull Derek? Look at all these tumours!" "Exactly. That's why." He told his sister, not taking his eyes off his own work. He had called Amelia in for a special case, she was also a neurosurgeon, a good one. The man they were currently operating on had multiple tumours on his brain and he needed help from someone as good as he was, someone he trusted that he knew wouldn't back down from a challenge and would do their best regardless. "He's a lost cause Derek, he's looking at months of recovery if he even survives this surgery." "You were a lost cause too Amy, but did I give up on you?" He retorted simply. Amelia sighed. "Alright, lets see what I can do." "Woah that's a big one." Stephanie peered in. "They're all big Edwards, that's why he's in here." Derek said, focus evident in his voice. "Well, that and the fact pretty boy here got overconfident." His sister said, just as focused on her own tumour she was tackling. "I'm not overconfident Amelia, I'm hopeful, if I were overconfident then I'd have tried performing the surgery by myself." "Hm." Amelia replied simply, resecting one of the tumours. "That's one big tumour." Stephanie peered into the petrie dish. "Eyes on the brain Edwards, you can look at all the pretty tumours when we close up this man's skull." "All? You think you'll get them all?" "Well, we're gonna try our best." Derek replied to the girl, taking one out himself. "We make a pretty good team huh." Derek said smoothly. Suddenly there was fast beeping. "Brain bleed." Amelia realised. "Find it, now." Derek instructed. "Damn it Derek I can't see anything. Edwards, shine that light over here." The girl did as she was told and Amelia quickly found it and stopped the bleed. "Good. Nice work Doctor Shepherd." Derek smiled at his sister. "Shut up." She chuckled.