I Get It [TW: Addiction]

"I know you think you hate me, but you don't really. You hate that I took what you love and made you face up to the fact it's hurting you." The young teen glared at the doctor. "No I'm pretty sure I hate you." "Pretty sure isn't sure." Amelia smirked. The girl sighed and looked away from her."If you didn't want my help you wouldn't have called me." "I'm kinda regretting that call." The teenager said quietly, more to herself than Amelia. "Betty, I know you want to fight it, you just don't know how to." Amelia put her hand over the shaking teenager's. "How did you do it?" "It's not a case of did, it's do." Amelia told her simply. "I fight it everyday, and it's harder when life throws it's shit my way, believe me." Betty scoffed. "So then why do you do it then? What's the point?" Amelia met her eyes. "Because of the good times. Those priceless moments you get to remember because you're sober, you get to live in and cherish, they're so worth it." "I haven't had any good times." Betty rolled her eyes. "Are you sure about that? If you could go back and really remember, vividly, the first time you held Leo, wouldn't you?" Betty teared up. "Of course I would, and I hate that I was off my face. I wish I could remember him looking up at me with those big eyes." "You may not be able to get that moment back, but you can have more moments with him you can remember. Just because Owen adopted Leo it doesn't mean that you can't still be in his life, you know that." Betty sniffed and wiped her eyes, she didn't know she had even been crying until now. "I can take you to a treatment centre, I can get you help. But you have to do the work, Betty. I can't do it for you, you have to want it bad enough." Amelia said, getting serious. "It'll get hard, excruciating, the withdrawal will feel like hell, and the therapy along with it will likely suck, but if you really want to get sober and stay sober, you have to stick to it." Betty took a deep shuddering breath. "I'm scared." She admitted. "So was I. But listen, you have my number. You can call me, and I can visit if you want me to." Betty felt reassured at that. "You're not in this alone, you have people rooting for you, me included." Betty was quiet for a minute before she nodded. "Okay." "Okay?" "Okay. I'm ready."