Chapter 22

Bilbo's POV

When my eyes flutter open, it's silent. No sound of war, of swords clanging together, of people screaming. It's silent.

Up in the sky, the great eagles battle with the orcs' bats. I manage a faint smile.

"The eagles are coming," I say to no one in particular. I stand up slowly and regain my bearings; I'm still on Ravenhill. I look out over the ice field and see a figure standing on the edge.

It's Thorin! Thorin is still alive! Thorin!

He takes a step and falls to his knees, and I peer over the rocks to try and keep him in my view as I run down the stone steps towards him.

"Bilbo!" Thorin says thickly as soon as I kneel down next to him. He's in pain, I can tell from the strained way he says his words and the deep, heaving breaths he's taking.

"Don't move, don't move. Lie still," I mutter. I pull apart his armor where the most blood seems to be to see his wound, which I am not ready for.

"Oh... oh..."

"I'm glad you're here," Thorin says, and I look away from his wound and back to his face that is slowly draining of color.

"Shhhhhhh..." I say, but he keeps talking.

"I wish to part from you in friendship."

"No. You are not going anywhere, Thorin," I say, my throat closing up.

"I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate... You did what only a true friend would do. Forgive me. I was too blind to see it. I am so sorry tha-that I have led you into such peril."

"No, I am glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin," I say, doing everything I can to keep the tears from falling. "Each and every one of them. It is far more than any Baggins deserves."

"Farewell... Master Burglar. Go back to your books, and your armchair... plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold... it would be a merrier world."

Thorin's eyes begin to lose focus, and I realize that I have never felt so afraid in my whole life. Thorin is about to die, I'm never going to talk to him again, see him again, touch him again.

"No. No, no, no. No, Thorin. Thorin, don't you dare."

He stops moving. Tears begin slipping down my face and I can't really do anything to stop them anymore.

"Thorin, hold on," I say softly, placing my hand on his heart. "Hold on, please. The eagles. The eagles-the eagles are here. The eag-"

I curl up in a ball and cry for a long time.

--------------------------
crying as i write this

-gracie