Chapter 2

Sorry for the long wait, guys!

------------------

Chapter 2

I curled my legs tightly up into my chest and squeezed my eyes shut. I lay in bed now, under my patterned and worn quilt, and Gandalf's stories rang throughout my head.

"Part elf..." I murmured. "No wonder you're so tall." And my mother and father were alive! Though all the way in Rivendell...

I turned over, and my thoughts landed on the quest Gandalf had explained to me, the quest to reclaim the dwarves Lonely Mountain in the east. They needed a burglar, apparently. I warred with myself, trying to decide whether i should go and fulfill my destiny, or stay in Hobbiton in peace and safety. Gandalf was going to collect the dwarves, and they would be here in 5 days time. I had that long to make my choice.

I blew out the candle on my bedside table and the room grew dark, illuminated now only by the moon's rays shining through the window. I closed my eyes, and imagined my mother's face smiling down at me, telling me everything would be alright. With her face drifting underneath my eyelids, I fell asleep.

The next few days passed in a blur, and as Gandalf's day of arrival drew closer, I found my mind still undecided. I was inside most of the time, isolated because of my newfound knowledge of what I am. Bilbo came by a few times, as did Addy, but I pushed them away, telling them I was ill. Bilbo didn't look convinced, though.

With one day between me and my choice, I gave up. I would let fate take my decision, and hope that it made a good one.

I got up the next morning and immediately got dressed. I didn't know when the dwarves were going to come, so I thought I would spend the day with Bilbo. I headed into the kitchen. Breakfast on my mind, I pushed every thought of the rest of the day away. As I sat down to a warm plate of eggs and potatoes, I thought, 'What choice do I have here? If I stay, I will be forever alone because of my own knowledge. I shall go, no matter the risk.' Before I could change my mind, I set off to Bilbo's.

When Bilbo answered the door, he looked surprised. "Amariel? What are you doing here so early?"

"I wanted to apologize for the way I've been acting these past few days." I said, looking down at my feet. "I wasn't feeling right, but I should not have shunned you like that."

Bilbo smiled, and looked grateful. "That's alright. Although I was beginning to think it was something I did!"

I assured him it wasn't, and then we both stepped inside.

"I've been wanting to tell you," Bilbo began as he put tea on the kettle. "That wizard, Gandalf, that I told you about earlier, he came to see me not five days past. Invited me on an adventure, he did. But I told him, 'Folk 'round here have no business going on adventures. If you want an adventurer, you won't find one here.' And then he tottered away! It was absurd." I coughed, and looked away, out the window. "Yes," I said vaguely. "Very absurd."

As the day wore on, I found myself becoming more and more nervous. I still had not told Bilbo about my own meeting with Gandalf, and it hurt me to continue lying to him. As we walked back from the market place in early evening, arms full of our supper, I considered telling him, but I shook my head. 'They must be here soon. I'll explain then.'

As Bilbo and I sat down to eat, we heard the doorbell ring. Bilbo made a move to get up, but I stood up first and said I would get it. "You're wearing a robe." I told him, which was true.

I opened the door, and was surprised to see a menacing looking dwarf standing in the doorway.

"Dwalin, at your service," he drawled as he bowed.